Stammering:a habit with a solution!
"M-M-M-My name is G-G-G-George", ".....(pause) my name is George". You may be the one or friend of one who is continuously wrestling with words. These interruptions in speech by repetition of a syllable, prolongation of sound or a complete block on speech are generally termed as stammerings or stutterings.
IS STAMMERING A DISEASE?
No. Though research studies have suggested 'faulty wiring' in the nerve circuits in the brain needed for planning and execution, there are suggestions that suggest stammering is more of a habit.
- Speech is a learned process. So, there's chance that your learning process went wrong and you got this problem.
- You can sing, you can whisper fluently.
- Nobody in this world is 100% fluent. Everybody stammers, either when they're afraid or anxious.
- Sometimes you get stuck in a particular word, other times you utter the same word without any problem.
- There are people who have overcome this problem and have become fluent.
Above points must help you understand the nature of stammering. So, stop being hypochondriac and get ready to triumph over your crippling habit.
As M.Twain puts,"Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man but coaxed downstairs a step at a time."
What can professionals do for you?
Stammering is a habit formed long ago during your childhood. It's one of the most notorious habit and so naturally very difficult one to uproot as well. So, seek professional help. Consult your GP and get enrolled in speech therapy classes. Professional help makes big difference.
- You'll meet other people who stammers. That will help you stop feeling lonely and helpless.
- Speech therapists teach you various exercises that help relax your speech muscles.
- They address the psychological components of stammering and provide proper counseling.
- Group sessions help you interact with other people. Good thing is you don't have to worry about blushing.
What can you do for yourself?
First develop attitude.
- Stop having self pity. Remember you are a unique individual who speaks little differently.
- You are not alone. 1% world population stammers. And I've heard of anybody who died of stammering!
- You can pursue the career you like. I've met lawyers who stammer!
- Believe yourself. You'll be able to speak normally.
- Don't hurry while speaking. Take your time.
- Breathe deep before speaking.
- While speaking, just think of word you are about to utter, not the whole sentence.
- Remember, the only cure of stammering is to stammer more and more. Don't panic!, just go on saying what you have to, putting aside the fear of being ridiculed.
- Last but not the least, just keep going on focused on your dreams. Later you'll find out stammering doesn't cause much havoc as you have predicted.
Meditation, yoga, stress relaxation exercises can help you become relaxed. Yoga can be most helpful as it relieves tension in your muscles and make you feel more confident. So, try these. Be relaxed with your life and also with your speech. Best of luck!
More by this Author
Zen poems and haiku are like word paintings. They paint a picture, a very living picture.Here are 10 most beautiful zen poems and haiku by masters like Basho, Dogen, Issa, Hofuku, Ekon. We need to read between the...
Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude towards it, for that determines our success or failure. -Norman Vincent Peale. Attitude is the way we look at things or life, based on our past...
Zen is full of paradoxes. So are Zen quotes... It’s human tendency to segregate life events into good and bad. We say happiness, sorrow, pain, pleasure, life, death, friend, enemy, love, hate and so on. This...