Tips on How to Look and Feel Younger- Staying Young
How Can I Stay Young? ~ My Birthday Wish
The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. Lucille Ball (1911-1989)
I want to stay young!
At retirement age and beyond, I’ve become accustomed to the idea of eventually aging, but it still seems far in the future. In my mind, I’m staying young! You remember how, when you were 15, thirty seemed ancient? At 50, seventy was the new “old”. Approaching 70 at the speed of light, I’m sure that “old” must be somewhere around 90…
Young at Heart at 90 Years Old
I'm Staying Young!
Can anyone stay young forever? As my father-in-law used to say, “I hate birthdays, but I dislike the alternative even more!”
There’s only one way to stop those birthday’s from rolling around and around, and that’s not the alternative we want.
So this year as my birthday approaches, I’ve decided: I’m staying young!
No need to go into the actual details of physical age here. Suffice to say, the fire department is on standby until those candles are blown out on the birthday cake. Stopping the passing of time isn’t an option. Staying young requires more creativity than that. Here are some lifestyle pointers I’ve gleaned from those with years of experience:
Life Expectancy Facts and Trivia
Life expectancy in the U.S. is now at 78.2 for an infant born in 2009.
Life expectancy in Japan is about 5 years more than in the U.S.
According to the World Factbook, In 2011, the U.S. ranks number 50 in the life expectancy tables. See the International Life Expectancy table .
Monaco tops the list with a life expectancy of 89.73.
Life expectancy in the U.S. has risen more slowly than some other countries because of smoking, obesity and lack of exercise.
Life Expectancy Calculator: http://www.livingto100.com/
Calculate your life expectancy with the Life Expectancy Calculator to get your estimated life expectancy plus feedback on things you can do to extend your life.
Tips on how to stay young
- Read the obituaries. Yes, you heard right. If you read the obituaries every day, you will see that people a lot younger than you have passed on. Some of them may be people you know. Obviously, you are doing something right by surviving them. Keep doing it.
- Be cranky. Get rid of toxic feelings. There’s a woman I knew who was always cranky and crabby. She complained to everyone around her about her aches and pains and all the miseries in her life. She thrived on making the people around her miserable. She lived to the ripe old age of 92. Obviously, getting that toxic crabbiness out of her system was a good thing. She cleansed her system often and was rewarded with a long life.
- Don’t listen. Did you realize that people whose hearing gets worse as they get older have an advantage over those who hear well? It’s true! They don’t have to listen to so much bull…err…baloney…! My grandfather had the perfect solution. When the conversation in the room got to be too annoying, he turned off his hearing aid. It worked like a charm to keep him happy and in good spirits for many years.
- Get a pet. Pets don’t care if you’re old. Pets don’t care if you’re ugly. Pets don’t care if you dress well or wear makeup or stay in your bathrobe all day. They just care if you feed and love them. Give them some food, attention and a warm place to sleep and they will treat you like the king or queen of the world. It’s proven that people with pets are happier and live longer, and it’s no wonder. That should help keep you young.
- Have more sex. It's believed that having satisfactory sex with their partners actually extends people's lives. And makes them sleep better, relax more and experience less stress. If not, they will at least die happier!
Tips for Looking Younger
- Quit Smoking – Smokers’ skin looks more wrinkled and aged than non-smokers.
- Eat a balanced diet and include food rich in antioxidants.
- Use sun block to protect yourself from the damaging effects of the sun.
- Smile and laugh – Just the act of smiling helps reduce stress.
- Do strength training exercises three times a week to build up muscle fiber and strength and reduce wrinkles.
- Exercise regularly to keep body fit and mind alert.
Anti-Aging Foods Help You Look Younger
Now if all this good lifestyle advice doesn’t help you stay young, here are a few anti-aging tips from the experts:
- Eat Foods High in Antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect your body from the effects of aging by destroying free radicals that damage cells and promoting growth of healthy cells. Some foods that are high in antioxidants are: Berries, green tea, beans, leafy and deeply colored vegetables and fruits, nuts. The longest-living people tend to eat less meat and more beans, soy, and nuts.
- Drink Green Tea. Green tea contains powerful antioxidants that may contribute to the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and cancer. Small population studies revealed a significant reduction of DNA damage after consuming green tea.
- Eat Tomatoes, Tomato Juice and Tomato Sauce. Tomatoes have been found to contain Lycopene, an antioxidant that helps fight against many kinds of cancer as well as heart disease and high cholesterol. Both fresh and cooked tomatoes provide lycopene, but cooking actually increases the availability of lycopene.
- Drink Coffee. Studies have shown that coffee is high in antioxidants, so it's not as bad for you as you might have been led to believe. (See The Many Benefits of Drinking Coffee)
Improve Memory and Keep a Sharp Mind
- Gingko Biloba is traditionally used in Chinese medicine. It increases oxygen levels in the brain and is believed to improve memory and cognitive function.
- Ginseng is another herb used for general health, and it is believed to help reduce stress, fight colds and sharpen the mind.
Playing Wii Games Good for Seniors
Maintain Mental Fitness
Enjoy a Glass of Wine
Staying Young: The Good News and Bad News
The bad news is that you need to exercise and watch your calorie intake to stay healthy and fit. If you are over 55, you need 150 -200 calories a day less than you did when you were younger. Cutting calories will extend your life. Aerobic and strength bearing exercise 3 times a week will keep you fit and healthier.If you want to look and feel younger, you must cut your calories and exercise!
Red wine is one of my all time favorites! You've probably heard a lot about resveratrol, a compound in red wine and grape juice that seems to slow aging. Higher concentrations of reservatrol are found in fermented red grape (red wine!). In a recent study, scientists fed resveratrol to mice and found that they had fewer problems like cataracts and heart disease. They also had stronger bones and better motor coordination. Other studies have shown that reservatrol might help in the prevention of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson's Disease.
Dark Chocolate contains a large amount of antioxidants that protect against aging, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Besides that, it tastes good and it makes you feel good.
Isn’t it great that a few things that you love are actually good for you?
Celebrate Your Age and Think Young!
Celebrate your birthday, no matter what your age. You can just enjoy the age that you are, or do as I do and vow not to let those birthdays get the best of you.
As my birthday approaches, I think that I’ll just enjoy a glass of red wine and some chocolate with my spouse and friends. We can snack on nuts and berries while we peruse the obituaries to see who we have outlived so far. Join me, won’t you?
Copyright © 2011 Stephanie Henkel
Some of My Other Hubs
- Live in the Moment ~ Enjoy Life More
Enjoy the fleeting beauty of a sunset. Some people have an innate ability to live in the moment without thinking ahead to some future activity or dwelling on something that happened in the past. Others have...
- Quotes for Making the Most of Life~ Live in the Mome...
Standing for a moment's appreciation of the sunset behind the saguaros. You may have never thought about the concept of living in the moment but chances are you've heard some of the old sayings about living...
More by this Author
Rest easier by knowing what to expect when cataract surgery looms in your future.
U.S. and Canadian tourists flock to Los Algodones, Mexico for affordable dental care. Americans save up to 75% on major procedures by getting dental work done in Mexico. Algodones, across the border from Yuma, AZ,...
Yankees and Southerners alike will enjoy these funny sayings collected from across the South. If you need help interpreting the meaning of these expressions, well here it is! Great list of Southernisms!