Symptoms and Signs of Depression
Following are some most common 'symptoms and signs of depression'.
Symptoms and Signs of Depression:
1. A person feels sad and gloomy for an unreasonably long period of time.
2. The depressed person becomes absolutely hopeless and he thinks that nothing can improve or better his situation in any ways possible.
3. A depressed person loses his interests in his daily activities. He does not work at his full potential and does not bring out his full ability.
4. A person with a depression disorder often does not take interest in activities which once were his hobbies. He often doesn’t take interest in sexual activities and pastimes.
5. Significant changes in appetite and/or weight is one of the common symptoms and signs of depression. The change may be more than 5% a month.
6. Along with the appetite and weight changes, another symptom of depression is that a person with the depression disorder has changes in his sleep routine. He either suffers with insomnia (cannot sleep or waking up unusually) or hypersomnia (over-sleeping)
7. Another sign of depression is when a person cannot control his temper and anger and turns out to be a violent man. Everything seems to get on his nerves.
8. Another sign or symptom of depression is the loss of physical energy and strength. Even ordinary tasks seem to take longer time than usual. A depressed person feels fatigued and exhausted all the time.
9. A person with depression disorder often suffers with low self-esteem and blames himself and criticizes himself for the mistakes he has done.
10. Another symptom of depression is that the person cannot concentrate. He finds trouble in concentration, focus and/or decision making.
11. Headaches, physical pain, muscles pain, stomach-ache are also witnessed in patients of depression, as symptoms of depression.
12. Thoughts of death and/or suicide are also considered as symptoms of depression. A person suffering with depression especially thinks of suicide with or without reason.
More by this Author
In this article, we will read about: 1. What is Schizophrenia? 2. Difference between Hallucination vs. Delusion. 3. Different types of Schizophrenia. 4. Symptoms of Schizophrenia.
What is Depression? We all have a general idea about, ‘what is depression?’ If a person is sad, gloomy or feeling low, he/she is depressed. But when we talk about the disorder of depression, there is a...
There are four different types of writing styles: expository, descriptive, persuasive and narrative. Learn the definitions of each and the key differences.