Teenage Pregnancy in 2011
We have all watched and heard about the "Teen Mom" and "16 and Pregnant" shows on MTV. I sit and wonder all the time, what has happened to girls and keeping their legs closed? Where are the parents at when these kids get pregnant? Do kids not realize they are making life that much harder by having a child when they can not even legally even work? Not to mention how hard it is to get a job in the economy we live in today. Do girls now think that life is some kind of fairy tale and think that a baby will keep a boy around? Then on to the boys. Do they know the problems that arise when they "dip their stick". Arnt boys and girls taught about sex and sexual protection in 6th grade? I understand in todays world it is some kind of "cool" thing to have sex, party, do drugs, and drink under age but come on.
I have a 15 year old sister who of my 4 other siblings is the only one I really care to watch succeed in life. I check on her every week. I go through her phone, computer, and i talk to her teachers and campus security. She has slipped up a few times over the last year and I have caught her doing things she shouldnt be doing. I busted her 3 times in 3 months. She thought she could trick me, my grandmother, and my mom but it didnt happen. The third time she had been talking with a boy who does drugs, drinks, and smokes. When I found all of this I explained to her that I was the only sibling looking out for her well being. After everything happened she understood where I was coming from.
Now for my questions of where are the parents? It is one of two reasons that I can come up with. One, the parents dont care about their daughter, or two, the daughter has not realized the parent is working to support her so she has what she wants. Do girls not have any self respect or self worth anymore? All teen pregnancy does is ruin families and hurts that child or children that are born to these teens. I understand that everyone wants to fit in during highschool but that is no reason to hurt yourself more than you need to. Do teens not understand that in most states, LEGALLY they are NOT allowed to have sex until they are 18?
FOR THE GIRLS
Alright girls this is for you. I know most of you just want to fit in and have your friends and your boyfriends. That being said, dont worry about everyone else. Worry about yourself. Think before you act. I get that you feel like that boy in school is the one for you but I will tell you that if you send him "sexts" and sleep with him because you want him to like you, you are just allowing him to show the school that you are what is called a "hussy". No girl wants to be the "school slut". The boys at school are just that, BOYS. They are like that dog next door that humps your leg. All they want is what is in your pants. They dont care about how you feel or what you think. Think about it girls, think about your future and going to college. Think about meeting the right person down the road of life that will actually be able to support you.
For the Boys
You are the same as the girls in the respect that you want to fit in. You also dont care who you hurt to get what you want. Not every girl is wanting to hand over everything to you because you are "popular". Let me tell you now your "popularity" ENDS come graduation day. You think your friends are going to be there when you go to jail or get in trouble? No. You think you can support a baby and a girl? No. You are just that, a boy who knows nothing of bills, insurance, car payments, food, and rent. so do everyone a favor, keep your "stick" in your pants until you understand what it is needed to sustain a mother and child.
Conclusion and Statistics
For young women age 15-19, black teens are most likely to become pregnant (134 per 1,000 women). Slightly lower rates occur among Hispanics (131 per 1,000) followed by non-Hispanic whites (48 per 1,000). Although teenage mothers today are more likely to finish high school or earn their GEDs than in the past, pregnant teens are less likely to attend college than teens who do not become pregnant. Out of all teen pregnancies, 57% end in birth.Another 14% end in miscarriage. Out of all teen pregnancies, 82% are unintended. Teen pregnancy accounts for 20% of all unplanned pregnancies annually. Three-quarters of a million teens between 15 and 19 become pregnant each year.
11 HARD FACTS
- The U.S. has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world – twice as high as in England or Canada, and ten times higher as in Switzerland.
- The U.S. teen pregnancy rate dropped six percent between 2008 and 2009.
- About 750,000 teens get pregnant in the United States each year. Nevada has the highest teen birth rate; 113 out of every 1,000 teens will get pregnant.
- About 1 in 3 women become pregnant at least once before they're 20.
- A sexually active teen who does not use contraceptives has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year.
- It affects education - only a third of teen mothers earn their high school diploma. And only 1.5% have a college degree by age 30.
- It also affects their kids - girls born to teen mothers are more likely to be teen mothers themselves. Boys born to teen moms are more likely to end up in prison.
- 75% of girls and over half of boys report that girls who have sex do so because their boyfriends want them to.
- 8 in 10 girls and 6 in 10 boys say they wish they had waited until they were older to have sex.
- Most teens (6 in 10) and adults (3 in 4) believe that teen boys often receive the message that they are “expected to have sex.”
- Diapers are expensive, but it's nothing compared to the $9 billion that teen pregnancy costs the United States each year. This includes increased spending in child welfare costs and public sector health care.
Remember, No means No.
More by this Author
For some CPS or Child Protective Services is a good thing. For some like me who have been through the system and felt the pain that it brings I will stand and say, CPS is not the best way to handle families and...