Mindfulness Benefits: Learn how to Meditate
Meditation Banishes Stress and Anxiety
Science of Meditation and Mindfulness
Meditation is a technique of training the mind to induce a state of conciousness which has been linked with several health benefits. While several research studies have been conducted on the benefits of meditation, the first documented research dates back to 1970s, by Dr. Benson, which showed that meditation brings about biochemical changes in the body, which helps control blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate and mental activity.
Meditation helps you ‘get familiar with’, and ‘explore’ our inner self. In our hectic, tiring and frenzied lives, our senses tend to get drawn outward; and meditation will help you turn inwards. The benefits of meditation - physical, mental and spiritual, are massive and far-reaching.
Meditation has always been a part of almost all religions, including christianity and islam, though it was practiced widely by buddisht and hindu monks.
How Does Meditation Help? Mindfulness Benefits
People use meditation for numerous reasons. Many meditate to relax, loosen up, calm down, and tackle stress, emotional upheavals and every day worries and pressures. The benefits of meditation are extensive and profound
- It helps slow down the mind and calms and soothes it. Meditation balances thoughts and emotions.
- Meditation promises to efficiently deal with a host of ailments and illnesses, particularly, life style disorders.
- Practicing a daily session of meditation will leave you feeling revitalized and rejuvenated.
- Meditation will take you to a higher sense of consciousness, intelligibility and harmony.
Other documented physical benefits of meditation include,
- In a meta-analysis study performed in 2003, it was observed that mindfulness can help deal with chronic pain associated with cancer, fibromyalgia and chest pain (among coronary artery patients).
- In another research conducted in 2006, it was observed that meditation can help reduce activity of sympathetic nervous system and increasing activity of parasympathetic nervous system. This helps to induce relaxation and reduce arousal.
- Meditation has also been known to improve the immune response, espeically in cases of individuals suffering from chronic ailments.
Relaxation Meditation: Learn to Meditate
It is very important to relax on the physical, mental and emotional levels in order to maintain optimal health and general well being. This technique will help you let go of unnecessary and useless thoughts, get rid of unhelpful and negative feelings and drive out pessimism.
- Lie down comfortably and focus on your breath for 2 minutes; scrutinize your body for areas of stress and worry.
- Shift your consciousness from the toes to the head. Remain with each part of the body for about a minute, and then proceed to the next part. Be an observer; do not dwell on or judge any thought.
- Envisage a river of water washing over you, carrying with it all pain, worry, anxiety, apprehension, stress, and weariness.
- Experience tranquility and calmness.
- Feel a breeze blowing through your mind, making it clear and happy.
- Lie still for 5 minutes; end your session.
How to Meditate? Mediation Techniques
Regularity and sustained practice is the key. You must set up a regular habit of meditating; only then will you be able to achieve long term and noteworthy health benefits. You must try to incorporate a daily session of at least 15 to 20 minutes in to your routine. Over a period of time, extend the meditation session to about half an hour.
With time, you feel be able to handle anxiety and stress objectively. Mediation will bring calmness, harmony and concord in to your life and banish irritability, anger, frustration, disappointments and resentment.
More by this Author
Psoriasis is flaking of the skin and can affect any part of the body including the scalp. Fortunately there are a host of home remedies and natural cures that can be effective in the treatment of symptoms of psoriasis.
Anger and Irritability and the most common negative emotions observed in day to day life. Studies have shown that certain foods are beneficial in improving mood and treating irritability. Similarly, Aromatherapy is...
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.