The Benefit Series - Honey
Honey has been around for centuries and then, even before that! Ancients used honey for healing purposes and it did work I guess; for they definitely lived longer than what our current average life-span is! And sure enough, every household does have a jar of honey in their kitchen. But how often do we have it?
In Islamic traditions, It is a saying of the Prophet (PBUH), "Make use of the two remedies: honey and the Quran." (Tirmithi)
Honey can heal a variety of medical problems if we care enough to take it! So let us see the amazing benefits of honey and how we can include it regularly in our diet!
Is honey a part of your daily/weekly diet?See results without voting
- Excellent for Skin and Hair
Honey is an antioxidant and provides moisture to skin, whether taken orally or applied topically. It is beneficial to people with both dry skin or oily skin as it maintains the overall elasticity of skin and keeps it smooth and supple. Applying honey on acne affected areas cures acne forever. Honey is also good for hair as it restructures damaged hair and adds lustre and vitality to limp hair.
- Relieves Stomach ailments
People suffering from stomach ache and other stomach conditions such as constipation, gastric or peptic ulcers are relieved if they intake a little honey everyday with warm water.
- Prevents Heart Diseases
Honey is proven to protect from heart related diseases and also opens up obstruction of the kidney, liver and bladder. It acts as a tonic and cleanses the arteries and stomach of impurities.
- Provides Internal Strength
Honey taken with figs is considered to be a great immunity booster. Honey gives vitality and strength.
- Other Important Benefits
- If applied topically on any wounds (even post-operative wounds), it speeds up healing and protects from infections.
- Honey relieves cough, sore throats and throat infections.
- It relieves arthritis pain if little honey is mixed with cinnamon powder and massaged gently.
- It reduces toothache if honey with clove powder is massaged on the aching tooth.
- If honey is taken regularly, it reduces cholesterol levels within a week.
- Since honey safeguards the immune system, people are less prone to common colds, flu and indigestion.
- Having honey with warm water early morning is reportedly said to aid in weight loss.
- Gargling with honey and cinnamon powder early in the morning removes bad breath.
- Honey is even said to restore hearing.
Super Saver Buys!
It is very easy to get honey into your diet. You don't need lots of it and you don't want to over-eat it as it is on the 'hot' side. Here are some ways how you can make sure you have honey in your system.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to your cereal instead of extra sugar. Adults and mostly young children often ask for more sugar in their milk & cereal breakfast, instead of sugar, having honey will prove to be more beneficial and also healthier.
- Add honey to salads. Have a couple of tablespoons of honey with balsamic vinegar, pepper and extra virgin olive oil and add this delicious dressing to your salad. Pepper will give a spicy touch and honey a sweet flavor. A great combo!
- Use honey in cakes, muffins and cookies. I had made this delicious chocolate fudge cake where I had included honey and boy, was it delicious!
- Honey Lemon Water for Weight Loss. Have a glass of lukewarm water with a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of lemon. It aids is weight loss and clears up blemished skin giving it a radiant glow.
- Pimple and Spots Remedy. Have a tablespoon of honey everyday for smooth, supple skin.
- Drizzle honey over pancakes, toasts and waffles. What is a breakfast without steaming hot pancakes and waffles. Honey and banana pancakes are so delectable!
- Honey in tea. Add a little honey in herbal teas instead of sugar.
The best kind of honey is raw, organic honey which is light brown in color with golden hues. There are false claims that unprocessed honey becomes fungal after a while, it is not so. As you can see the picture here, it is raw honey that is acquired right from the jungles beside my village in India. It is as it is, not chemically processed and nothing ever happens to it. We just extract the honey and consume it.
Honey makes for an amazing energy booster, and is a great healthy supplement. Go grab a jar now, but make sure it's organic!
More by this Author
No comments yet.