What is the Best Cure for Hiccups?
An Unlikely Story
Hiccups are one of life's small annoyances for most people. For Charles Osborne of Anthon, Iowa, it was quite a different story. He started hiccuping in 1922 after lifting a 350 lb pig in order to weigh it and then butcher it. 2 marriages and 8 children later, he was still going strong. After about 68 years, his hiccups miraculously stopped in 1991. Unfortunately, he died only 11 months after they stopped. His story marks the longest recorded time for someone that had the hiccups.
Causes of Hiccups
- Eating too fast can cause you to swallow too much air which inevitably leads to hiccups.
- Anything that disrupts proper functioning of the diaphragm can cause these. This includes eating too much or having too much fatty food and drinking too much alcohol.
- It can even just be caused by being nervous or excited.
There are many cures that have been suggested, but only one has worked for me. One day, my mom's 5th grade teacher told her how she got rid of hiccups. This trick has always worked for my mom; so, of course, she passed it along to me. So far, it has never let me down. Here are the steps that can be used to get rid of those pesky spasms:
- Get a glass of water and fill it to the brim.
- With the glass in one hand, lean over as if you were almost touching your toes.
- Close your mouth around the outer rim of the glass; this is the one farthest from you.
- Keep your head upside down as you take a few gulps. Make sure to keep your head down as you take your swallows.
- Place your head back in its normal upright position and wait to see if your hiccups have vanquished.
- If it didn't work, it's probably because the exercise wasn't completed quite right. Start back at the beginning and practice until they are gone
Tip: Don't just take one swallow upside down. It usually takes more then one to do the trick.
How do you cure your hiccups? Please comment below!
More by this Author
Now you have no excuse to be chilly. Read these tips to help keep yourself warm all winter long.
These are just some of the little things that annoy us as humans. Can you relate to any of them?
Learn about 70's makeup and how to recreate the trends for today.