The Brain and Distractions, How to Improve Concentration
Make a List
Are you Easily Distracted?
How easily do you become distracted? Do you ever drive to a location and not remember most of the trip? When you are in a long conversation, have you ever realized you didn't hear some part of what the other person said? This can certainly be embarrassing. It is perfectly okay to ask the person to back up and repeat that last sentence, which is probably better then nodding your head, so they will presume you heard them. Distractions happen in many areas of our lives.
Letting you mind wander is really an old habit for many people. Sometimes people think they are mentally deficient because they have an inability to concentrate for any length of time. Often it is just a bad habit that can be overcome; because, you can learn to keep your mind focused. The power of intention is often used to learn to focus your mind as it is difficult to achieve goals when your mind is cluttered with distractions and negative thoughts.
A Question to a Thought
What Things Affect Concentration
Sometimes other people cause the distraction. As a writer, especially when you are doing some research related to the article and someone walks in interrupting, do you find it frustrating? I sure do as my concentration is totally broken; plus, it is time lost.
There are ways to cut down on the time you become distracted, and you can improve your level of concentration. While we notice this happening, it is not something we usually think about very often. Comprehension is related to your ability to concentrate. The Miriam Webster dictionary defines concentration as: “the act of concentrating: direction of attention to a single object or an academic major or area of focus with a major.”
There are occasions where concentration is more difficult due to vitamin deficiency, particularly vitamin B. Eating healthy has been shown to enhance the mind. Extreme fatigue is another problem. I believe most people have difficulty with concentration when they are exhausted.
Make Positive Changes
If you want to make some positive changes in your life, these are some practical steps that are easy to follow. Becoming more disciplined in your life activities will help you to become more disciplined in your mind.
- Set goals daily and make plans to achieve them. They should be realistic goals, and they need to be prioritized.
- Make sure to take at least a few minutes a day for the people closest to your heart. Life is short and we are not promised tomorrow.
- A good exercise regimen done a minimum of two to three times weekly will improve your health.
- Set and keep standards and boundaries that are comfortable for you. We teach other people how to treat us. Be consistent.
- Eat healthy and you will feel healthier over time. Cut out the junk foot and nuture your body.
- Live with integrity. Be true to yourself, and always tell the truth as it will line up with your true character. Living with integrity will increase your self-esteem.
- Student that are studying often find they get distracted, but they want to be prepared for that big test the next day. There are a few things you can do to help.
- Meditation and/or prayer daily will keep you in a state of oneness and peaceful. No matter what your personal beliefs are there is a meditation and prayer that is right for you.
- Inventory your talents and strengths if you are making a life changing decision. Your career path should be something that is fulfilling. Choosing a path out of obligation or expectation usually does not work out very well. God back to school or do what it takes to fulfill your goals.
- Discipline your mind to live according to the laws of abundance, which means choose to give to others daily and also receive unconditionally. Give with love and receive with gratitude.
- Physical surroundings that are kept neat and orderly get rid of the external clutter, thus helping get rid of the internal clutter. You won’t be looking for the paper you just had a few minutes ago. It takes discipline, but you can quickly adopt new habits by practicing them consistently.
Suggestions for study times:
- Stay hydrated, so bring a glass of water with you.
- Turn off Facebook, cell phones, computer games or distractions.
- It is ideal to study in a comfortable place with a soothing environment.
- Get everything organized ahead of time, like books, papers, computer, etc.
- Sometimes having some scented candles will soothe you, so you will be relaxed versus stressed.
- Unless you have an exceptional study partner, you are better off studying alone.
- Eat some healthy food before you study, so you won’t get hungry.
I find that most of these suggestions help with writing as well. People tend to be more productive in the morning and in the evening, so it is important to know what time works well for you.
How do you See Youself?
Distractions with Driving
There is a list of things that can be considered distraction when driving percent of the people agree. Texting has been outlawed in several states, and it is certainly an unsafe practice with 80 percent of people agreeing. Statistics show that using a wireless device in the number one source of driver inattention. Teenagers tend to be more easily distracted than adults.
Other drivingdistractions include:
- Talking on a cell phone
- Eating and drinking
- Putting on makeup
- Combing your hair
- Talking to a passenger can be a distraction.
- Reading a map while driving
- Adjusting a navigation system
- Adjusting the radio, CD or MP3 player
1 Brain Exercise for Better Mental Concentration
Improve Concentration - Be Observant
Think about Sherlock Holmes. This world famous fictional detective is the “quintessential unitasker in a multitasking world.” As he is presented with a new case, he will sit in his leather chair with his eyes closed and is silent. He captures mindfulness, which is a term psychologist use to describe cognitive thought. While many ancient religions, such as the Buddhist, use mindfulness in a spiritual way, Sherlock seems to quiet his mind, take in every detail, and he can dismiss any distraction. That is the difficult part for most people. We tend to be people of action.
You often see in movies and on TV how the FBI or other law enforcement can walk in a room, and within seconds they can recount every detail. They are trained to do this job. Normally, most people do not train themselves to be that observant, and they are working out problems in their heads while cleaning the house or driving somewhere. Would we not be more productive if we focused more carefully on details?
Don't Worry - Be Happy
People generally worry about many things that never happen. If you are a worrier, write down all your problems on paper and put the paper in a jar. Check the jar a week or two later and you will find that most of those worries never happened. Live in the moment.
© 2013 Pamela Oglesby
More by this Author
Tibetan Monks developed Acupressure at least 5000 thousand of years ago. This is the most popular method for treating pain and pressure in the world. Acupressure points are shown and methods explained.
The article discusses the natural born instinct of people with regard to being safe and protecting our children. Is instinct and protecting out loved ones a learned response or are we born with it?
There are 5 delicious easy dessert recipes in this article that are different and delicious. These delicious recipes are perfect for special occasions. Most of them are quick recipes for desserts.