Home Remedy Wrinkle Treatments
Save some money
Let’s face it – wrinkles are inevitable. However, we don’t have to concede defeat just yet! There are many different creams and lotions available to help eradicate wrinkles, however, I decided to see if there were any natural or home remedies that could be effective in our battle with Father Time.
Some of these home remedies may sound a tad strange and I must admit they do read more like grocery lists than wrinkle treatments, but if you can utilize home grown remedies instead of paying out the big bucks for over the counter creams and lotions, then why not give them a try?
They are made from healthy products, that are cost effective, and unless a person is allergic to the ingredients, you don't have to worry about any adverse effects.
Stock up on groceries...
I’m sure nearly everyone has heard of this first home remedy, but there are a few listed here that I hadn’t heard of before. Remember – always cleanse your skin before applying any products to your face!
- Egg whites - Apply them under the eye to tighten and tone the skin, used to visibly reduce fine lines.
- Odor-free Castor oil – Apply under eyes and throat to tighten skin, prevent wrinkles and reduce fine lines
- Preparation H – (I kid you not!) Apply on throat, face (avoiding the eye area) and forehead to tighten skin and reduce wrinkles
- Coconut oil – Apply to skin before bed to tighten skin and reduce fine lines (natural moisturizer)
- Fresh pineapple – Apply to skin before bed or after cleansing in the morning to tighten skin (natural astringent)
- Green (Thompson seedless) grapes – Cut in half and gently crush them against your face so the juice will be absorbed. Leave on for approximately 20 minutes then rinse and air dry. Excellent for reducing wrinkles and tightening skin
- Cucumbers - help shrink bags under the eyes
- Tea bags - also used to help reduce bags and fine lines
For those of you who love a facial, here are a couple of home remedies that are right up your alley! For those of you who are new to facials, they help by improving the blood circulation to the skin which helps to tighten the facial muscles and reduce puffiness and sagging.
Some products have even promised the resurgence of collagen in the skin, and diminishing of fine lines.
The rule of thumb when using facials or cleansers is to start at the neck and work your way up to the forehead, using small circular motions with your fingers.
- Make a paste with sugarcane juice and turmeric and apply for 10 minutes – used for getting rid of wrinkles and help slow the skins aging.
- Mix 1 tsp orange juice, 1 tsp raspberry juice, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp ground oatmeal, and 1 whipped egg yolk. Wait 20 minutes before applying, starting from the neck upwards. When dry, gently, but thoroughly wash with warm water. Helps tighten and firm skin
- Mix ¼ c. Comfry infusion, ¼ c. Witch hazel and 10 drops patchouli essential oil. Prevents sagging skin, tightens and tones
- Mix 2 tbsp of plain yogurt, ½ tbsp honey, ½ tbsp lemon juice and the contents of 3 Vitamin E capsules in a small bowl. Apply to your face, leave for 10 minutes, and then rinse well with warm water.
Something that is overlooked as a remedy for wrinkles is a healthy lifestyle. I know, I know, everybody now-a-days is touting the benefits of diet and exercise. I’m not saying cancel that appointment with the dermatologist or plastic surgeon, I’m just hinting that sometimes a change in lifestyle can go a long way to postponing the inevitable battle with Father Time.
I have still to take my own advice and exercise more. I do try and get enough sleep at night, but as you age, your sleep cycles change, and you end up napping at night, instead of sleeping. By napping, I mean that you wake up often, disrupting your sleep cycles even more.
1. Eat right
A proper diet, including veggies, fresh fruit, whole grains and anti-oxidants is exactly what the doctor ordered, and your skin will love you for it! Cook with olive oil and substitute virgin olive oil for your regular oil in your salads. Believe it or not, these simple steps have been found to protect your skin from something called oxidative stress, and can help you defy wrinkles well into your 70’s!
Walk, jog, or bike those wrinkles right off your face! Seriously – your whole body benefits from regular exercise, including your skin. Exercise not only strengthens muscles, it improves blood circulation and nutrient intake for your skin.
3. Quit smoking
This is a biggie! Smoking does increase aging – especially the skin. Let’s face it, smoking isn’t good for you at the best of times, and your skin shows the effects of this vice very quickly.
4. Reduce stress levels
Adopt a mantra – Don’t sweat the small stuff. Take some time to relax and revitalize. A quick five minute break to breathe will have an amazing effect on not only your nerves, but your skin.
5. Don’t worry – be happy
A positive outlook and a smile go hand in hand with reducing your stress. Both of these things can help ward off unnecessary wrinkles, especially the ones between your eyebrows...
All of these simple and sometimes overlooked remedies can do so much for your health, happiness, longevity and looks. There are a lot more pro-active remedies out there, including solutions that can cost a lot of money, however, sometimes the simple things in life are best.
I will do my best to follow my own advice. I am eating better, however, since it is so good, I have to adjust the amounts so that I don't end up wider than I am tall. I am also working on the quitting smoking. This can be tough, but like I am told, anything good is worth working for.
More by this Author
ADHD/ODD, ADD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD, If you are viewing this, you might be attracted by the idyllic picture of my son and me. I have to admit, we do portray a warm, loving family unit, but looks...
Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ODD, ADHD/ODD. This is for the parents who live with this disability, day in, and day out. If they are lucky, maybe they catch a break on the weekend, (depending on whether you are a...
Finding your soul mate, Soul mate, relationship, The search for the 'love of your life' is something that every single person on this planet has contemplated, or will, at least once in their lifetime. Seeking out that...