The Flu Shot Did Give Me The Flu Or Was It A Bad Reaction?
I can't breath. My lungs feel as though they are filled with gravel. And the pain in my right lung is so excruciating that I can honestly believe that someone has shot me with an arrow. That's what it feels like. So what has made me go down with a really bad dose of Bronchitis? Because that's exactly what it is.
I should know. I have suffered from bronchial problems ever since the day I was born. Throughout my childhood I was in hospital more times than out. In fact when I was eight years old I had a collapsed lung and pneumonia. I ended up in hospital for six weeks. I had to take huge tablets to make my lung inflate and the pain and anguish was excruciating.
Flu Shot Facts
Every year I have had a flu shot or jab, and I hardly ever get a reaction. Admittedly sometimes I do get the sniffles for a couple of days, but that's to be expected as the whole point of a flu shot is to make our bodies react to the virus so it will recognise it if it gets attacked by the real flu.
Most of the time my reaction consists of a slight temperature, sneezing and a small cough. But not this year.
Flu Or Bad Reaction?
I know for a fact that there was no way that I caught the flu from anybody else. My proof? I hadn't been out of the house for two weeks, for a number of reasons. The main one being that I had already bought everything I needed the week before online. I had the house to myself as my partner was away, and my son lives elsewhere.
I walked down to the Doctors Surgery which takes me five minutes, strolled in and found that by this time it was empty. There was one nurse still waiting. I went over to her, she smiled, jabbed the needle and that was that. I went home and never saw another person.
The next day I started to feel ill. I expected it, just a little. But as the week went on I began to get shivery, sneeze a lot and then the cough started. Two weeks later, I am still sitting here trying to breath.
Arrogance Or Ignorance?
Unable to get my breath, I eventually got down to the surgery. It took me ages to walk there, but after entering the Doctors room I told her what had happened. She looked down her nose at me and stated, 'Oh no there is no way you can get the flu from the shot'.
Well, sorry lady, but yes I did. And now I have bronchitis! She checked my breathing, took my peak flow test, this is similar to a cardboard tube with a monitor on the side. You blow into the tube and test how much strength your breath has coming out of your lungs.
My oxygen level was 98% which was good, but my lung capacity was poor. And over the days it has got worse. I am taking steroids to just get air into my lungs. I have three inhalers, and two bottles of cough mixture.
So, Am I Stupid? Or Are The So Called Professionals Too Trusting?
Let's look at the facts.
- According to the CDC - The Influenza flu shot is an inactivated virus. In other words it is dead so therefore its impossible to catch the flu virus from the shot or jab.
- Some people will get a small reaction to the flu shot. This is usually around the area of the jab. The arm may swell up, or/and you will feel slightly ill for a couple of days because your body is reacting to the virus and making protective antibodies to fight the virus, and therefore recognise it if you get infected with the real live flu virus.
- You may be exposed to other flu virus's or the same flu virus just before you actually get the flu shot. Therefore it won't work as it can take a while for the actual vaccination to work.
- Some people with weakened immune systems may go on to get the flu after the vaccination. Though in most cases they won't get it as badly as if they hadn't had the flu jab.
- Home Remedies For Coughs And Flu Herbals And Mustard...
Home remedies for flu and colds can be just as affective as over the counter medicine. Here are a few ideas to help you get rid of those horrible flu symptoms
- How Bees Make Honey And Propolis With Great Health B...
How bees make Honey and Propolis which are great for our health. Amazing results for all sorts of illnesses
So What Went Wrong?
Let's get those facts again:
- I definitely did not get any exposure to a virus, flu or cold in the week before I had the flu shot.
- I didn't see anybody on my way to the surgery.
- There was only one nurse on duty by the time I got there. She jabbed me, and I left to go home on my own.
- 24 hours later, I had the first symptoms. Aching body, sneezing and a cough. These got steadily worse as the week went on.
- A week later I can't breath. I have really bad bronchitis. Fact.
Want To Know The Truth About Flu Vaccines?
How Can We Trust?
People are very quick to claim that:
- Don't be silly, you can't catch the flu from the shot. Why? How do they know? Are they standing next to the person who is actually killing the virus? Or watching them test that particular batch? Why the derision? Why do people believe you are stupid if you say I have caught the flu from a shot? I have an IQ over 140. I am not stupid. I am totally aware of how the flu vaccine works. I have had bronchitis ever since I was a child.
- What about a bad reaction? Well yes it definitely was. But lets just say it was just that. A reaction. The problem of safety arises. If someone is a high risk patient, is it better to let them catch the flu or let them have such a violent reaction that it amounts to the same thing?
- Last but not least. Ever since I have been feeling ill, I have been told over and over again that actually I am not the only person to say this. In my town I have heard of at least three other people who have suffered ever since the shot was given. So it does seem to me that it was a faulty batch. Unless we question this we will automatically believe in the safety of the flu vaccine, or any other shot. All I know is that I caught flu, got a bad reaction or something happened. And I cannot breath.
Would I have the flu shot again? Yes I believe I would. For two reasons. One being that if this vaccine had such an adverse reaction on my immune system, then what the heck would the real virus do?
And secondly, I would rather put my trust in the vaccine as I am terrified of the real flu. But there is one point to this.
Never believe anyone who says that no, the flu jab cannot give you the flu. Nobody knows, there is such a thing as human error. Complacency could kill.
More by this Author
Cystitis is a painful illness. But there are a few self help ideas that you can try. These will work relatively quickly, as long as you follow these instructions.
Swollen ankles or swollen feet can be caused by a number of problems from bad circulation to heart problems. Causes, symptoms, and treatment explained for quick relief.
Thyroid disease A personal guide that will help you recognise each symptom and side effect that the Doctor doesn't know. From harmful tablets to seeing the illness in your face and body.