The Healing Powers of Manuka Honey
Manuka honey, like aloe vera, is one of those miracles of nature that heal many minor health problems. Only found in New Zealand, manuka honey is a byproduct of bees that feed on the flowers of the manuka bush or the New Zealand tea tree that naturally grew only on the east coast of the islands of New Zealand. The Maoris, the indigenous people of New Zealand, have been using this honey for all sorts of ailments by using the honey in their tea, as poultices, and dressings. The honey has been found to have a high level of antioxidants and strong antibacterial agents. Because of this, New Zealand has graded the Manuka honey according to its level of antioxidants and antibacterial properties, using what they call the UMF. The higher the UMF number the more potent it is in its healing properties. For topical healing uses, it is recommended that you use Manuka honey that has a UMF of 16 or higher. UMF stands for Unique Manuka Factor. A UMF number of at least ten is required for the honey to be graded active Manuka honey meaning that it is appropriate to be used for its healing properties.
When tests were done with Manuka honey, the healing properties are not diluted or diminished in the presence of heat, light, or human enzymes! It is one of the most natural medicines that are out there to help protect the skin from bacterial infections. The following are some home remedies using Manuka honey.
- For sore throat, stomachaches, acid reflux – mix ½ tablespoon of Manuka honey with a cup of hot water and lemon, then drink.
- For facial care to moisturize face and prevent acne, try a Manuka facial mask – mix whipped up egg whites from one egg, a tablespoon of Manuka honey and a little flour until you get a thick consistency. Apply to your face and keep mask on for 15 minutes.
- For cuts or lacerations, apply Manuka Honey on wounds. If the wounds is deep,cover the wound with gauze after applying Manuka Honey. It's a good idea to keep treating the wound daily until the skin heals which can take anywhere from a week to a month depending on the severity.
- Pimples – when it starts developing your skin will be red and bump because it's form just underneath, spot treat with Manuka honey overnight will reduce the inflamation. This is best with a UMF of 20.
- For eczema, psoriasis, skin inflammations – apply Manuka honey directly on the skin inflammation, cover the lesions overnight. Keep applying the Manuka honey until it's gone or drastically reduced.
- Sunburns and minor burns – apply Manuka honey directly on burn area.
You Might Be Interested In
More by this Author
Flightkeeper When you walk inside the National Air and Space Museum through the National Mall entrance, you can't help but look up. For anyone who loves flying on planes and find space exploration a source of wonder and...
Everybody knows about the English, the Scots, and the Irish contributions to America, but what about the Welsh people? The Welsh influence and contributions to America belie the number of Welsh immigrants.
It used to be that when women started getting gray hairs it meant that they were too old to be attractive. Women are refusing to think that way anymore and it's about time. There are so many accomplished older women...