The Health Benefits and Versatility of Green Tea
Your Health and Green Tea
I have always been concerned with my health having at one time been an athlete and a motorcycle racer. Now that I am not as active and have reached that lovely age of 50, I have become more enthusiastic about my health. Previously I had written about the various uses for coconut and it health benefits. I decided to journey further and look at things I may have in my pantry that are healthy for us. I decided to do research on green tea and what positive impact it has on our health. There are many attributes of green tea we may already know and likely things we did not know about this popular tea.
Green Tea and Green Tea Supplements
Benefits of Green Tea and Green Tea Supplements
- One of the most popular over recent years is that green tea supplements were being taken to help lose weight and tackle the belly bulge. Taking the supplements in tablet form or drinking the tea boost your metabolism and aids in burning calories.
- Green teas antioxidant makes it a worthy opponent in combating cancer. It seeks out free radical that damage our DNA, which leads to cancer. It is shown in countries where green tea is a daily staple that cancer is less prevalent among daily users. Pigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is found in green tea, which makes it an ideal antioxidant, but may not be fully utilized by the human body since it is not available in our system. One study shows that synthetic EGCG has help in shrinking prostate cancer. Drinking two cups a day is ideal in curbing cancer growth.
- There are mixed results depending on what study you read about the benefits of green tea and the health of your heart. Again, because of the antioxidants in green tea makes it ideal in combating coronary heart disease and studies agree on this. Where there is disagreement is that there are other things in our diet that will do that same and that exercise is also key to a healthy heart.
- Along with the weight loss there are studies that show that it lowers our bad cholesterol, helps lower, high blood pressure and raises good cholesterol.
- Those that suffer from rheumatoid arthritis recommend green tea. The antioxidants help reduce swelling and joint pain associated with arthritis. It even helps with protecting further damage to the cartilage.
- Theanine is also found in green tea, which will boost gamma delta T cells that with our immunity. Studies have shown those with HIV and other immune deficiency problems benefit from drinking green tea on a daily basis.
Further Uses of Green Tea.
Acne, topically to skin.
Wrinkles, topically to skin.
Drinking a cup of green tea a few times a day is recommended for optimal benefit. In green tea drinking cultures they allow tea to steep for three to five minutes to bring out its catechins (antioxidants), and the tea is to drink it freshly brewed. Make sure you are buying quality green tea or quality supplements.
For those that are caffeine sensitive, you may want to limit to one cup a day. If that works for you, you can bump it up to two. Studies show that decaffeinated lacks in the quality antioxidants and other beneficial properties. If decaf is the only way you can enjoy green tea make sure you buy good quality green tea. Organic may be the way too go no matter if it is regular or decaffeinated.
Green Tea Ice Cream - Recipe
8 large egg yolks 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar Pinch salt 1/4 Vanilla Extract 1 1/2 cups whole milk 1/2 cup loose green tea 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
In a large bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar, vanilla and salt. Set aside.
In a heavy saucepan, scald the milk. Remove from the heat. Add the tea, cover and steep for 4 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot, pressing with a rubber spatula to extract as much liquid as possible. Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/3 of the cream mixture into the eggs and whisk well to combine. Add all the egg mixture to the pot and cook over low heat, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean container and cool in the refrigerator, about 2 hours.
Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a plastic container and keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
Here's to Your Health
More by this Author
Looking to buy a motorcycle to ride off road? Tips on what to look for based on what you want to use it for.
"In frenzied excitement he eats up the ground. He cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds". Secretariat the greatest racehorse to ever grace us with his presence.
Is there a perfect motorcycle for women? Things to look for when buying a motorcycle.