The Health Benefits of Eggplants
Why You Should Eat Eggplants
Eggplants not only contain vitamins and minerals, but they also contain phytonutrients, which have antioxidant activity. The following are the many benefits of eggplants:
1) Eggplants are known for being brain food: Eggplants contain the phytonutrient, nasunin, which is an antiodiant that has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage. The cell membranes are responsible for protecting cells by letting nutrients in, and pushing waste out. Cell membranes also receive instructions from messenger molecules that tell the cell which activities it should perform.
2) Egg plants are extremely rich in phenolic antioxidant compounds: Eggplants are rich sources of compounds that make up powerful antioxidants. These powerful antioxidants help to protect the body from cancer and aging.
3) Eggplants provide cardiovascular health and free radical protection. The juices from eggplants help to lower cholesterol. Eggplant also helps to keep iron levels under control. Too much iron can lead to an increase in certain cancers. Eggplants protect the body from cellular damage, and protects against cancer as well as rheumatoid arthritis.
Eggplants are not just a good substitute for chicken in chicken parmesan, but they are a powerful vegetable that helps the body function and protect from cancers. Maybe eggplants are something to consider adding to your diet afterall!
Eggplant Tofu Stir Fry!
To help you get started with incorporating eggplants into your diet here is a simple healthy recipe that takes less than half an hour to prepare. You can serve this stir fry over rice, and make a nice salad to go with it!
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 package of firm tofu, drained, cut into 1 1/2 by 2 inch chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound of eggplant cut into 1 by 3 inch strips
1 small bell pepper (green or red) cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
How to Fry
1) Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add in the tofu and gently cook the tofu, turning it occasionally until it has browned slightly (approximately 5 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tofu to a plate.
2) Cook the garlic, eggplant, and bell pepper in a pan until softened while stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes). Add the soy sauce, sugar, and oyster sauce, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until it has heated through. Transfer the tofu back to the pan, and gently stir it into the mixture. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves.
3) Serve the stir fry over rice, or enjoy the stir fry by itself!
This hub is sponsored by David's Garden Seeds and Products.
Eggplant Stir Fry
No comments yet.