The Health and Beauty Benefits of Sage
The Tremendous Benefits of Sage
Not everyone realizes that spices and herbs like sage have tremendous amounts of antioxidants compared to other vegetable and fruit sources. As a matter of fact most herbs contain antioxidants in a broad variety which makes them a great food source for this. Officially called salvia officinalis, Sage is native to the region of the Mediterranean and Southern Europe. For centuries, sage has been traditionally used in medicine.
Its leaves are used for cooking. The extracted oils are distilled from dried leaves and you can even make a healthy cup of tea from the dried sage leaves. Considered to be an expectorant, a diuretic and a stimulant, sage also has antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it is also an anxiolytic which reduce anxiety.
Primarily, sage is a great source of antioxidants just like rosemary, which is also from the mint family. The antioxidants included in sage are phenolic acids, flavonoids and volatile oils. Enzymes such as peroxidase and superoxide dismutase are also contained in sage and this combination gives this herb the capacity for being considered one of nature's best sources for antioxidants.
Categorized by some to be the perfect herb, the popularity of sage is undeniable for the medicinal and culinary industry. Part of the family of mint, sage is a beautiful silvery plant with a wonderful fragrance. This is a great addition to herb gardens in the kitchen and is quite healing as well. These days, most home gardens have sage as it is also an ornamental plant. Not only is it a popular home remedy, it also has great medicinal and preservative properties. Rich in potassium, calcium, iron and vitamin A, sage prevents bleeding, ulcers, swelling and sprains. It also causes the nervous system to become stronger.
Health Benefits of Sage
- Sage helps in digesting foods that are rich in protein, hard to digest and fatty foods.
The cosmetic industry uses sage for blemishes and in skin care creams due to the cicatrisant content.
- Sage also regulates menstrual cycles and prevents menopausal women from excess sweating.
Many powerful antioxidants are contained in sage that protects cells from oxidation and cancer.
- Mosquito bites and allergies are alleviated by sage.
- Sage helps in promoting digestion, giving acidity relive and has choleretic and cholagogue properties.
- Sage oil contains camphen and camphor, which prevents and cure infections that are fungal such as infections, athlete's foot and dermatitis.
- Surgical incisions, sores and wounds heal rapidly with sage. It is also an antiseptic. Sage is also used for its anti-bacterial properties that help various parts of the body including the eyes, genitals, ears, throat, nose, intestines and stomach.
- Energy is increased with the boosted stores of iron. Rich in calcium and vitamin A, sage is important for skin, bones, teeth and growth. Memory is also improved and children also benefit from taking sage
- For patients with diabetics, sage is among the herbal plants that are beneficial. Studies show that sage tea infusion affects levels of fasting glucose in normal animals. Reportedly, sage is recommended for use as a supplement to food for the prevention of Type 2 diabetes as it lowers glucose in the blood of those at risk.
- Coco Chanel and The Little Black Dress
Have you ever wondered where the little black dress of Coco Chanel began? It all began when hat designer and seamstress had innovated with jersey fabric use which was an initial triumph since this material was relegated traditionally to...
- Characteristics of the Person Born Under the Libra Z...
People who are born under the astrological sign of Libra are known to fantasize about their future princess and prince. Unfortunately as they get older they realize that life has a lot of things to offer. They will start experiencing things that...
- So You Want to Know About The Sagittarius Personalit...
Sagittarius is an astrological sign that is ruled by the planet of Jupiter, which is the reason why people who are born under this astrological sign are known to be adventurous. Sagittarius people are known for being positive in everything that...
More by this Author
Have you been having a hard time losing weight? Is weight loss something you have attempted over and over again with little results? If so, you may not have heard of apple cider vinegar as a weight loss aid. As a matter...
The latest craze in dieting is the Dukan Diet. Dieters do not go hungry and there is no calorie-counting. Learn more about the plan and the French doctor that developed it.
Just like Aquarians Thomas Edison, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Aniston, Christie Brinkley and Copernicus himself, Aquarians are known to be the new millennium's leader of all astrological signs,