The Many Uses For Vinegar, A Wholly Natural Substance
Non Toxic and Natural
Vinegar is a natural substance containing acetic acid. The two main types are malt vinegar made from barley, and apple cider vinegar. It has a wide range of uses around the home as a cleaning agent. It can also aid digestion and can help to relieve skin ailments.
- Vinegar is great for removing brown iron stains and limescale from baths, showers and toilets. The stains can be sprayed with vinegar stored in a window cleaning pump spray bottle.
- If you mix a teaspoon of salt in a cup of vinegar, this is great for cleaning coffee and tea stains from cups and mugs. It will also clean brass.
- Vinegar can be used for cleaning windows.
- When rubbed into stains in clothing and allowed to soak for a while before laundering, vinegar helps to loosen the stains. Baking soda reacts with vinegar and the resulting froth helps to loosen stains.
Acetic Acid and Vinegar
The active ingredient in vinegar is acetic acid, also known by it's more modern name, ethanoic acid. When alcohol turns sour, ethanol is chemically converted to ethanoic acid. The formula for the acid is CH3COOH.
Vinegar has a 5% acetic acid content.
- A few teaspoons of vinegar in a glass of warm water aids digestion.
- When applied regularly to the toenails over a period of months, vinegar can help to cure athlete's foot or nail fungi. The fungus which causes the disorder doesn't like to live in acid conditions.
- Applying vinegar to itchy skin and bites helps to relieve the itching
DIY and Garden
- Nuts and bolts which have become seized can be released by soaking in vinegar. The acetic acid will dissolve the rust. In fact rust can be removed from any surface by soaking in vinegar.
- Water acid loving plants such as rhododendrons and hydrangeas with a solution of vinegar every so often to increases the acidity of the soil.If you spray vinegar onto the leaves of weeds, it will scorch the leaves and kill the weeds
- Vinegar deters ants if sprayed on their trails or around door and window frames
In the Bathroom
- Vinegar helps to remove dandruff and relieve itching of the scalp.
- It can be used for removing scum from baths and grime and mildew from tiles and shower curtains.
- If you buy a small pump spray from a pharmacy, this can be filled with white vinegar and used as a deodorant spray. You won't smell like French fries after the spray dries, and vinegar is a very effective sterilizer, killing the germs which cause BO! It won't cause insoluble white stains on clothing like conventional antiperspirant/deodorant and you won't be ripped off by the toiletry companies!
More by this Author
Contacts lenses provide better quality of vision than glasses, and they also provide more freedom for physical activities. Here is my experience of contact lenses—the joys and the pitfalls!
Eczema is one of the most distressing skin conditions and afflicts children and adults alike. Theories exist about the causes of the disorder but these are by no means definite and eczema can flair at any time without...
String trimmers, also known as line trimmers, weed eaters, weed whackers and strimmers, can be troublesome garden tools and difficulty in starting is often due to an issue with the carburetor