The One Diet
Whether you have 10 pounds or 100 pounds to lose, finding the one diet to help you get rid of that extra weight and keep it off may seem like an eluding goal. With so many diets promising to be the one, it can be a little overwhelming...enough to make you procrastinate even, but it doesn't have to be that way.
The One Diet that Works
The fact is many healthy diets do work. The thing is that when you look closely, you'll find all these diets and programs put similar eating practices into play. For instance:
1. Eat moderate portions: Weight gain occurs when we take in more calories than we burn. Healthy diets teach you to eat less by recognizing proper portions. They also instill knowledge for how to eat for the rest of your life so you don't gain the weight back.
2. Simplify: Diets that complicate eating become so much work that it is easy to give up. If you struggle with counting carbs and calories, don't. However, it is a good idea to keep a food journal. No counting…just accountability. When you put it down in black and white, it's easy to see how much you've really eaten and exactly what you're eating.
Also, no food should be off-limits. Instead, you need to teach yourself to limit foods that contribute to weight gain. Often, when you tell yourself you can't have something, it works in reverse and you can't stop thinking about it. Learn to incorporate these foods into your diet in small amounts.
3. Slow Down: One reason people eat too much is that they eat too fast. Slow down. Take time to chew your food and enjoy it. If you're the first one at the table to clean your plate, start to put your fork down between bites. Don't even think of the next bite until you are done with the food in your mouth. Chew well and savor the flavor!
4. Drink Water: You've heard for ages that it is important to drink water. How much water you should drink depends on your height, weight, activity level and environment. The important thing is to drink it! It not only helps you feel satisfied, it actually helps lubricate your joints and contributes to muscle tone!
5. Balance: Be sure to include foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables and lean protein in your eating plan. Along with that, include healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These can be found in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, and cold water fish.
Don't Choose a Fad Diet
Fad diets promise fast weight loss, and they can actually work. The problem is fad diets don't teach you how to change the habits that caused your weight gain in the first place. Instead, they help you drop unwanted weight and when the diet is done, you revert to your old ways and the pounds pile back on.
Fad diets often center around a "magic food" like the cabbage soup diet, the tuna diet, and the grapefruit diet, but there are other flags to watch for. If you want to lose and keep the weight off, don't follow a diet that:
- Promises extreme, fast weight loss
- Completely eliminates certain foods
- Requires you to eat certain foods at specific times
- Limits your calories to less than 1,000 a day (unless under a doctor's care)
There's more to fad diets, but let's not concentrate on what we shouldn't do. Most of us have had plenty of practice with that. Instead, let's see how to find that one diet that works!
These concepts are nothing new. They are the foundation for many successful diet plans including Dr. Oz's You on a Diet. The fact is the basics boil down to one diet whether you want to lose weight , keep it off, or live healthier. Along with eating right, exercise should be a regular part of life. The basics are clear. The trick is to put it into practice.
More by this Author
If you want to build a bird cage, you need a plan, materials and one more thing...a knowledge of birds and their special needs.
Baby cockatiels grow from an inch-long hatchling to adult size in just six weeks. It takes 8-10 days for their eyes to open, but the color of their eyes...even closed eyes offer a clue as to the baby's future color.
Bird owners have mixed feelings about wing clipping. Is it mean to clip your bird's wings? After all they are born to fly. To answer that question, let's take a closer look at how to clip wings and the reasons it is...