The Risks of Slimming Tea Outweigh the Benefits
The Benefits of Slimming Tea
There are a few health benefits of slimming tea, although the same benefits are found in pure teas such as green tea, white tea, black tea, wulong tea and others. It has been scientifically proven that tea contains antioxidants that aid in good health,
Teas also contain polyphenols that aid in the fat burning process, stimulating weight loss. Both pure teas and slimming teas contain these positive properties.
The Risks of Slimming Tea
Slimming tea has risks not associated with pure teas. In fact, according to most studies and most labeling of ingredients on the sides of slimming tea boxes, slimming tea is usually less than 25% tea. The other 75% of the so-called slimming tea, while hyped as all natural, is usually a combination of natural herbs, including natural laxatives.
One of the most common laxatives included in slimming tea is senna. While the senna content in slimming tea may be all natural, it is still a laxative. For that reason many people refer to the product as laxative tea. Therein lies the greatest risk. Laxatives should never be used as a diet supplement.
The risks of using laxative teas or slimming teas are so great that most packages correctly have warnings against their use by pregnant women.
As Seen Below, Even Pure Green Tea Can Have Side Effects
Side Effects of Slimming (Laxative) Tea
While it may seem that the person using the slimming tea product has lost a few pounds initially, it must be noted that the high laxative content acts as a diuretic, which can cause dehydration in a healthy person. Dehydration can lead to other side effects such as
- Stomach Cramps
Among pregnant women it is possible for slimming laxative teas to cause miscarriage.
Additionally, the use of laxatives as a diet supplement may cause diarrhea initially. However, after prolonged use the human body can become dependent on the laxative. Without the laxative dosage the person will begin to suffer chronic constipation.
Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, and Slimming Teas
Of particular concern are the possible effects on those persons who suffer from anorexia nervosa or bulimia. Many people suffering from anorexia nervosa have been known to use laxatives as a diet tool, and to a lesser extent those suffering from bulimia.
Extended use of slimming laxative teas among these cohorts can cause death if there is no intervention. Unfortunately, many people do not realize that the consequences of prolonged use of these diet products can be deadly, especially for those who suffer from eating disorders.
The benefits of tea --- antioxidants and polyphenols --- can be found in pure tea. The ingredients that come under scrutiny most often are found in products hyped as "slimming teas" and possessing "slimming" properties that set them apart from regular teas.
It must be noted that the manufacturers and marketers of slimming tea products do not advertise their products as laxative teas. Obviously, they know that the product would sound less appealing to the consumer.
Slimming laxative teas possess the same benefits as pure teas, but pure teas do not possess the risks associated with laxative teas. The risks far outweigh any benefits found in slimming tea beverages or slimming tea pills.
- Best Slimming Tea
Slimming tea is not always pure tea. Learn about the best slimming teas, what they do, and if a slimming tea is safe for you.
More by this Author
The answer may surprise you. Most cheating husbands get involved with someone their wives know. For some reason women give cheating men more credit than they deserve when it comes to choosing someone to cheat with. ...
The need for a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty following extreme weight loss often comes as an unexpected surprise to many who have worked to go from a few hundred pounds to a fit and healthy size and weight. Most...
One of the most interesting aspects of an illicit affair is the perspective of the "other woman." Most of us have a hard time feeling pity for the woman who plays the role as the "other woman" in an...