Amazing Health Benefits Of Baking Soda Or Sodium Bicarbonate And Its Many Uses In The Home
About Baking Soda Or Sodium Bicarbonate
All of us know about how useful baking soda is. Though it started off primarily as an agent for making dough rise in baking, it has served well as an excellent natural cleaning agent. Not only cleaning it has a variety of uses as a deodorant, a polishing agent, an insect repellant, a grease cutting agent, a hair shampoo and more...
The most important benefit of baking soda in all our cleaning it that it is a healthy cleaner free of dangerous chemicals that endanger our health and can therefore replace all those harsh and toxic cleaners that float around in the market today.
What Is Baking Soda?
Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate or by its short name soda bicarb or bicarb, bread soda, cooking soda etc.
Baking soda is a white crystalline solid that is in the form of a fine powder. It is one of the components of the mineral natron and has been used since ancient times. The chemical formula of baking powder is NaHCO3.
Sodium bicarbonate has a salty and alkaline taste. It is not only a very versatile substance but is very safe as well.
Some Uses Of Baking Soda
- Baking soda is mainly used as a leavening agent in baking batter to raise, soften and lighten batter for cakes, breads and other baked foods and to enhance their texture.
- It is also used to make vegetables softer and render meat tender.
- In breading for fried foods it makes for added crispness.
- Baking soda has the property of regulating the pH of acidic or basic substances as well buffering capacity which prevents further change in pH. This property can be used to neutralize odors in the fridge and also to maintain neutral pH in water used for washing clothes thereby increasing the power of the detergent.
- Soaking brushes and combs in water to which a tsp of baking soda has been added removes the buildup of oil and other residues. Soak for a while and the rinse dry.
- To shine floors add 1/2 cup baking soda to a bucketful of warm water and mop the floor with this.
- To deodorize and keep drains clean of oil and other residues add 1/2 cup of baking soda in the drain and then pour in 1/2 cup vinegar. 15 minutes later, pour in hot water. This will help clear mild clogging and keep the drain clean.
- Baking soda is a great cleaning agent for the toilet bowl as well.
Sprinkle some baking soda into the toilet bowl and add 1/2 cup of vinegar. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes. Then scrub with a brush and flush.
- Baking soda helps to remove chemical residues left in the hair by hair styling products.
Add a small amount of baking soda to some shampoo in your palm and wash the hair with this. It leaves the hair cleaner and more manageable.
Some More Uses Of Baking Soda
- Baking soda can be used to bring shine to oxidized silverware. Add 1 part of water to 3 parts of baking soda in a container in which a sheet of aluminium foil is soaked. Soak the silverware in this till clean. Now rub the silverware with a cloth dipped in this solution to make them sparkle. Rinse well and dry.
- Baking soda works well to remove dirt in the grout of floor and bathroom tiles. Sprinkle some baking soda on the grout and spray some vinegar on it. This causes fizzing and loosening of the dirt. Scrub with a brush and wipe with a cloth.
- Barbeque grill can be cleaned off the oil, grease and food material by scrubbing it with baking soda.
- Baking soda can be used to extinguish small oil fires in the kitchen by sprinkling it over the fire.
- Coffeemakers and dishwashers can be run through their normal cycle with baking soda and water to clean them.
- Weed growth in cracks on driveways and walkways can be discouraged by sprinkling baking soda in the cracks.
- To relieve grease from pots, pans and dishes add 2 tbsp of baking soda and detergent to the dishwater.
- Baking soda repels ants and cockroaches.
- Gargling with baking soda solution freshens the breath.
- To provide relief to tired feet soak them in a tub of warm water to which 3 tbsp of baking soda has been added and mixed.
- A paste made of baking soda with water can be used as a simple natural deodorant.
- For a natural shoe deodorant sprinkle some baking soda in your shoes.
- To clean carpets, sprinkle some baking powder and let it stay for about 15 minutes. Then vacuum.
Some Health Benefits Of Baking Soda
- A baking soda scrub made by mixing 1 tbsp baking soda with 1 tsp water when rubbed gently on the face prevents acne and removes excess facial oil and dead skin.
- To kill nail fungus, sprinkle baking soda on a damp nail brush and scrub nails.
- Baking soda douche (1 tsp in warm water) kills candida yeast and stops itching.
- Baking soda can be used to make a chemical free toothpaste. Add 1 part salt to 3 parts baking soda and mix in 3 tsp glycerine. Add 10-20 drops of an essential oil like peppermint, cinnamon etc and water just sufficient to make a paste. Fill in squeeze bottles and use as toothpaste.
- Add baking powder to bathwater to get relief from sunburn. Dissolve a cup of baking soda in a tub of warm water and relax for about 30 minutes in the tub.
- To get relief from insect bites, prickly heat and minor skin issues bathe with cool water that has baking soda added to it.
- To alkalize the body 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of baking soda can be added to a glass of water and drunk.
- Baking soda improves athletic performance. researchers from Loughborough University in one study found that those who consumed baking soda reduced their time in the 200 meters race by an average of 1.5 seconds.
In another study, researchers from the American College of Sports Medicine found that those who consumed a capsule of baking soda improved their running times by 2.2 seconds in the 800 meters dash.
This has been attributed to baking soda's property of preventing buildup of waste products like lactic acid that causes fatigue. The alkaline nature of baking soda cleans up the toxic wastes.
- A daily dose of baking soda may help to prevent kidney damage and chronic kidney disease. A study to this effect has been reported in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (JASN).
In the study, 134 patients with advanced chronic kidney disease(CKD) and low bicarbonate levels (known as metabolic acidosis), were given sodium bicarbonate or baking soda daily in tablet form, in addition to their normal care.
It was noted that the rate of decline in kidney function was appreciably reduced in these patients with the decline being about 2/3 slower than in patients not given sodium bicarbonate.
Interestingly Dr Yakoob noted that in these patients who took baking soda tablets the rate of kidney decline was similar to the normal age related decline.
- A 1/2 tsp of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water taken a couple of times a day for 3-4 days cures colds and flu which also neutralizes stomach acids and heartburn.
- For high uric acid and gout; add 1/2 tsp baking soda to 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice and let it fizz and bubble till its over. You can stir it to speeden up the process. Add a glass of water to this and drink immediately.
- Baking soda shrinks tumors. Cancer cells cannot survive in an oxygen rich and alkaline environment. Baking soda neutralizes acid and makes the blood alkaline.
Cancer cells are hungry for sugar. So when baking soda is mixed with maple syrup the mixture goes straight to the tumor site where it starts to destroy the tumor.
Mix 3 parts of organic maple syrup to 1 part baking soda, stir over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes and consume @ 3 tsp per day for 1 to 2 months.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some Of My Other Hubs On Health
- Ajinomoto, MSG (MonoSodium Glutamate) - The Common Food Additive, Its Allergy Effects And Its Advers
Ajinomoto, MSG or mono sodium glutamate, the cause of a variety of disease conditions is added to a mind boggling number of foods. Read the adverse effects of this food additive that is added to enhance the perception of flavor of food..
- Benefits Of Alkaline Water - Healthy Drinking Water
An acid condition of the body is the cause of most diseases. Alkaline water is the best form of healthy drinking water that one must drink. Read about the benefits of alkaline water for our health...
- The 5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Vitamin D - The Sunshine Vitamin
Vitamin D has been a very underrated vitamin. Research studies now show that the health benefits of vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, extend to many life threatening and life crippling diseases as well. To know more, read on...
Drinking Baking Soda for Health | Improving Your Health
Baking Soda Cancer Cure?
Teeth Whitening at Home with Baking Soda - Amazing Results!
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Onions are so commonly used in almost all dishes that we are not aware of the immense health benefits they offer. To know more, read on.
Chia seeds, the wonder food, also called the "Running Food" was much used by the ancient Aztec and Mayan people not only as a food but for its amazing benefits.
Milk is a universally available natural food. It contains all nutrients necessary for our growth. Read on to find the health benefits of drinking this white nectar...