The top health benefits of Neem tree- The wonder tree!
The wonder tree
India is a very colorful country with a myriad of religions and customs. The unique feature of India is to see trees being worshiped in the temples. The banyan tree, the peepal tree and the neem tree are said to be the sanctity of god. The trunk of the trees is always smeared with turmeric, vermillion and sandal powder. Yellow sacred threads bedeck it and people piously worship it as they feel the trees represent god.
Goddess Kali is believed to have her blessed sanctity in the neem tree and so it is an integral part of worship among women. Apart from being worshiped, neem tree has innumerable medicinal benefits and each and every part of it has some unique value.
The medicinal benefits of the neem leaves
- The leaves can be used for several skin problems. Acne, pimples, hair problems can be treated with neem leaves.
- Neem leaves have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties.
- In India dry neem leaves are burnt to drive away mosquitoes. The smoke effectively drives away the mosquitoes and it helps you avoid the toxic effects of mosquito repellants.
- Neem leaves can be used in hair packs to remove ticks and lice.
- Neem leaves can be made into a paste and added to face packs.
- In India diabetic patients regularly have neem leaves to lower their insulin level. Take a small bunch of tender neem leaves, grind it to a smooth paste without adding much water and roll it in your hands. Swallow it with water as you would a tablet.
It is not the leaves alone which have medical qualities. The bark, flowers, fruits, everything has some medicinal properties.
Neem flower rasam (veppam poo rasam) is said to be excellent for intestinal worms. The neem flowers can be dried and stored. It helps your immune system, purifies blood and effectively removes toxins from body.
It is very easy to make. Why don’t you too try to benefit from it?
- Dried neem flower –two table spoons
- Red chilies- 3 to 4
- Toor dhal- 1 tablespoon
- Aesfoedita or hing- a pinch
- Turmeric powder- one teaspoon
- Tamarind- the size of a gooseberry
- Curry leaves- a small sprig
- Salt –to taste
- Jaggery powder- I teaspoon
- Oil to fry neem leaves- 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek- half teaspoon.
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish- 1 tablespoon
- Extract the juice from tamarind and keep aside.
- Cook toor dhal in the pressure cooker for ten minutes.
- Add the extract of tamarind to it.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in the pan and fry the neem leaves to a golden brown. Take care not to burn it.
- Heat the pan, add mustard seeds and fenugreek and red chillies.When the spluttering stops, add hing.
- Add curry leaves
- Add the tamarind and toor dhal mixture and keep it on fire till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the fried neem leaves
- Add jaggery powder.
- Do not make the rasam boil too much. Remove from fire when the rasam begins to froth.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Face packs with neem leaves
- Make a smooth paste of a bunch of neem leaves. Add one tablespoon of curd to it. Add one tablespoon of besan powder. Apply over your face and wash after it dries.
- Make a paste of one teaspoon of multani mitti, one teaspoon of neem leaves paste and juice of one lime. Blend well and apply all over your face and neck. Wash when it dries.
Hair packs with neem
- Make a smooth paste of neem leaves. Take a bowl and add half a cup of sour curd to it. Mix in the neem paste. Add the powder of dry hibiscus flowers. Blend well and apply in every strands of your hair. It is good for dandruff and initiates excellent hair growth.
- Soak one tablespoon of fenugreek. Make a smooth paste and add one tablespoon of neem paste. Mix it thoroughly and apply. Your hair will gleam and shine.
The twigs of neem branch are still used as toothbrush in Indian villages and it has good results in strengthening your teeth.
Nature has blessed us with immense natural resources and we must make use of it. Neem has extraordinary medicinal properties. We should not completely discard such natural way of treatment and try to make maximum use of it.
© 2013 mathira
More by this Author
When you sympathize with others, the feeling is temporary as the feeling goes once the problem is solved.But empathy means seeing problems from other people's shoes and you share their viewpoint.
Old age can be lived the proper way if you have a positive mindset. Age related problems are mostly mind related and you have to overcome it to live a fruitful life, full of zeal and zest.
When the person whom you so ardently loved leaves you, you might feel that you have nothing left. Don't let someone who does not truly love you cause you to lose hope. When you are able to move on from the false love...