Tips From A Mother of Seven : How to Feed Your Children Healthy Foods
The most challenging task in the world
The most challenging task in the world is being a parent-- part of it is making sure that your children are eating healthy foods and that they have a healthy mind and body so to speak. I have been blessed with seven children, five boys and two girls -- two boys are not my biological children but I raised them like my own. I have experienced everything in life -- poverty, minor sickness for my children, been left by your loved one, death in the family and a lot more other things. I have been peed on at my lap while changing diapers, I rushed to the hospital because my two boys have high fever and I cant get it a manageable temperature, in and out of doctors office because my children are sick. It has been numerous times and I cant count it anymore. I was forced to jump on a pool so that I can get my daughter who jumped to the pool. At happier times though I have been smothered by kisses, hugs and blowing kisses from my children every now now and then. I have pinned ribbons to them every time they graduate from pre-school and basic schooling. I count the years and every day that each of them have a birthday and I will have a day off from work so as to be with them the whole day. How many cakes and candles did they blow up and I was there every time I sing Happy Birthday to them. But to tell you the truth, the most challenging task for me is to feed my children healthy foods. As a mother I could give you some tips on how to make sure your children are eating healthy foods. What makes a parent great is not how his children are spoiled or making sure they get what they want but making it sure that they have proper healthy diet which is a foundation of a good life.
Now, I can share with you some tips from my own experiences and from researches I have done for my self education on the subject of feeding children with healthy foods.
How to Feed Your Children Healthy Foods Tip Number One
- Know the basic of a healthy food diet --Be educated as a mother in terms of what food to eat or not. People are luckier now because when my children are still young, the eldest is now 18 and the youngest is 3 years old, there is not much information in the Internet. A very busy parent needs instant information that are credible so they can use it for sound judgement. The resources are limited to teach parents on how to feed their children healthy foods. All I know is hat green and leafy vegetables are good for my children. How about carbohydrates, proteins, and other nutrients, How exactly will I make sure that they get the right amount of nutrients? --. that is one big question a parent always ask. Yes it is scary thing to know that you are the lifesaver of your children, it is us who are the main caretaker and what kind of lifestyle they will be dealing with. I am glad to share with you a health resource page I read from time to time --- the United Stated Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Pyramid for every life cycle. They have one available for kids, children and preschoolers. All you need to do is to check their website and you can track how much should you be feeding your children.
Tips and Ideas on How to feed Your Children Healthy Foods
- focus on fruits and veggies
- The more colorful the foods are the better
- Going Green with the pyramid food diet plan
- Choose a Harvest of colorful vegetables
- Make half your grains whole
- Cutting back on salt and sodium
- Following vegetarian diet but with proper knowledge to supplement if you choose to
- Cut back on sweet treat
How to Feed Your Children Healthy Foods Tip Number Two
2. Be a role model to your children. I became a role model to my children, For a time, I hide eating fatty foods to my children because I am scared they might see me. But later on I need to be a role model for them, it is time saving as well and I don’t need to hide anymore. You are the most important influence in your child and you can do many things to help your children develop healthy eating habits for life. Like sleeping, eating habits can be developed until you grow old and you start it while your very young. According to the USDA here are some tips to help you with role modeling techniques to children so that they will be encourage to eat healthy foods. The essence of role ,modeling as the agency say is that “You can do many things to help your children develop healthy eating habits for life. Offering a variety of foods helps children get the nutrients they need from every food group. They will also be more likely to try new foods and to like more foods. When children develop a taste for many types of foods, it’s easier to plan family meals. Cook together, eat together, talk together, and make mealtime a family time!”
- Go food shopping together -- Make them as part of your shopping, bring them along and let them chose their favorite leafy and green and yellow vegetables and fruits, the more colorful the foods are the better.
- Get creative in the kitchen -- Cut the food nicely with their help, not them cutting the food but assisting you, and let say name the food as “Cutie carrot etc.”
- Offer the same foods for everyone -- no favoritism, no choices except of course when somebody has an allergy
- Reward with attention not food -- Don’t tell your children to give them cookies or chocolate if they did something good
- Focus on each other at the table -share stories while eating but you should eat and chew food thoroughly as well.
- Listen to your childand have the time to asked them how they are
- Limit TV time and video games -- this is related to outdoor activities. Don’t let them sit for long hours and glue on the TV or play station
- Encourage physical activity -- play outside if you must, even during winter there are fun sports and activities to indulge in
How to Feed Your Children Healthy Foods Tip Number Three
3. Be patient and consistent with disciplining them to eat proper foods. I daresay it is the most important among the tips as it incorporates the other two tips, if you don't have this as a parent or as a caretaker you will never be successful in feeding your children healthy foods.
- Long term effect of being patient and being consistent is that your children will develop a habit of it, and then their lifestyle will be better.
- Even if your daughter or son tells you, MOM, you are repetitive already, it pays to repeat important points to your children and explain to them the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
- Consistency is a good virtue specially when it comes to feeding your children, children can be sometimes bossy and cry until you give them what they want. Be consistent, they are not going to die if they cry and don’t get what they want like sweets.
The most difficult "job" in the world is to take care of children and making sure they have the proper attitudes and behavior pertaining to all aspect of life -- one of which is the proper eating habits -- eating healthy foods. Making sure that they eat the proper food that gives them a legacy for a better lifestye is the best that you can do.
More by this Author
- 5Mobility Aids 101: Walking Aids, Cane, Crutches, Walkers, Wheelchairs and Scooters for People with Physical Disability
Mobility Aids 101: Walking Aids, Cane, Crutches, Walkers, Wheelchairs and Scooters for People with Physical Disability. Mobility aids are instruments which are designed to assist walking or make an improvement for those...
Motivations and Inspirational Words and Quotes For People with Disabilities. Finding the words and motivations in life when you are disable is difficult specially for those who have been active before and for some...
The National Symbols and Emblems of Ireland National symbols and emblems are important part of a culture of a country. It speaks of their identity and what they stand for in their life. Furthermore it shows their...