Tips and tricks for getting rid of hiccups
How a hiccup works
What is a hiccup?
A hiccup, also known as (synchronous diaphragmatic flutter) is a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm which occurs at the same time as a contraction of the voice box (larynx) and total closure of the glottis, effectively blocking air intake. The glottis is the middle part of the larynx, where the vocal cords are located. -Medical News Today
No one really knows why we get hiccups, or what their purpose really is. They are usually just an annoyance and embarrassment
What causes a hiccup?
Lots of things can cause hiccups. Here are the main causes. You can avoid extra tips and tricks to get rid of hiccups if you avoid some triggers to begin with.
- Eating too much food too fast.
- Drinking too much (especially alcohol and carbonated beverages)
- Abdominal surgery
- Disease or disorder that irritates the diaphragm
- Hot and spicy foods or liquids
No more hiccups!
Hiccup tips and cures
- Hold your breath
- Sit up straight and take 10-20 very deep breaths, exhaling slowly
- Gulp a big glass of water
- Pop a few tums
- If you are ticklish, have someone tickle them out
- Swallow a spoonful of sugar, or try this with salt too
- Count out loud, the louder the better, until they are gone
- Pull out your tongue a few times with your fingers
- Place a paper towel over a glass of water and drink from it
- Drink water through a straw while pinching your nose shut
- Ask someone to scare you out of your britches
- Have a spoonful of peanut butter
- Breath slowly in and out of a brown paper bag
- Although you'd think this is counter-intuitive, have a sip of hot sauce
- Drink water from a glass backwards and upside down-this is the best way!
- With one hand plug your nose and blow as hard as you can making your ears pop, I don’t know why this works, but it does
Let's talk about...
- Why do I always have gas?
Gas, farts, flatulence, bubble gut, whatever you want to call it. Ever wonder why you always have it? Want to get rid of it?
- Urine therapy health benefits
This was by far the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of. Urine Therapy? Really? I'm all for natural remedies but this was one thing worthy of being written about.
© 2013 Rebecca
More by this Author
This was by far the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of. Urine Therapy? Drinking pee? Really? I'm all for natural remedies but this was one thing worthy of being written about.
The beautiful people of the world know the true value of Coconut Oil. This stuff is liquid gold...there are so many uses for this fantastic natural oil, read on for all the ways to start using it!
How easy is it to overdose on nicotine? Not as easy as one would think. Learn to recognize the warning signs and symptoms, as well as how to treat a potential overdose.