Tips for a good sleep
A Good Night's Sleep
Poor sleep patterns are generally obvious, but another clear sign that you may not be getting a solid 8 or so hours of good quality rest a night increasing forgetfulness. It’s important for your health to have a sound sleep every night. While many people take it for granted for some, especially those in mid-life, a good night’s sleep can become increasingly difficult to achieve. There are many ways of learning to sleep well without resorting to prescription medicines.
10 steps for a good sleep
1. Try to go to bed and get up at the same time – or within an hour of your usual time.
2. Avoid indulging in daytime naps as they may interfere with your night-time sleep.
3. Alcohol and tobacco can also disrupt sleep, so avoid them for 3 hours before bedtime. Again you may need to abstain for longer.
4. Try to eat at least 3 hours before bedtime so the process of digesting food doesn’t keep you awake. Consider eating your main meal at lunch and a lighter meal in the evening.
5. If you are light sleeper, go to the bed only when you are really tired. You may find that spending less time in bed produces a deeper, more restful sleep.
6. Regular exercise should guarantee a good night’s sleep, but try to complete your workout at least 2 hours before going to bed.
7. Establish a calming bedtime ritual, such as meditation or a soak in a warm bath. Add a few drops of relaxing lavender essential oil.
8. Ensure your bedroom is comfortable, dark and free of clutter.
9. Use your bedroom only for sleeping. Set aside another time and place for planning, thinking and worrying so you are less likely to toss and turn at night.
10. If you are on any medication, check to see whether there are side effects that include insomnia. F there are, ask your doctor about different drugs or consider natural alternatives.
Recommended For Good Sleep
Snoring may be caused by having a blocked nose, an allergy, lying on your back, drinking too much alcohol or being overweight.
· Use an air filter in your bedroom and keep pets out. Remove any rugs too as they can harbor dust mites.
· Avoid alcohol and other sedatives because of their relaxing effect on the throat muscles.
· Ease congestion by applying mentholated vapour balm on your chest.
· To stop sleeping on your back, wear a T-shirt with a golf ball sewn into a pocket on the back.
· Health food shops stock homeopathic tablets that may help, and don’t have any side effects.
Ø Lie on your back, and shut your eyes.
Ø Breathe in and clench your toes down towards the soles of your feet. Hold for a count of 10, release and exhale.
Ø Repeat the same ‘breathe in-clench-hold-release-exhale’ sequence for every major muscle group in you body.
Ø Lastly, smile as widely as you can, hold, release and relax. Stretch – and go to sleep.
More by this Author
Currency is a term which refers to medium of exchange. Every country has its own currency. There are a huge number of currencies in the world. The currency of India is Rupee. If we have a look at Indian currency; gold,...
No comments yet.