To smoke, or not to smoke: that is the question
And the Answer is a FIRM NO
Because Smoking kills
This is the simplest and shortest way possible to tell anyone that smoking is really fatal. According to a research overall tobacco smoking is estimated to be responsible for approximately 30% of cancer deaths in developed countries, that is, 46,000 deaths in 2005 in the UK. 
By 2025/30, it is estimated that 10 million people will die annually from smoking-related diseases, 70% of these deaths in developing countries.
In China alone, 600,000 smoking-related deaths occur annually and it is estimated that one-third of all young men in China will be killed by tobacco if current smoking rates continue.
Passive smoking also contributes to continuing the “family circle” of smoking and there is much evidence of the harmful effects on children in ‘smoking’ households including respiratory disease, asthma attacks, cot deaths and middle ear infections.
From the above-mentioned figures it must have been clear by now that you should really start to think, atleast, about quitting smoking.
Smoking degrades quality of life
Advertisements on TV channels (or on billboards) show "cool" people doing wonderful things (stunts). What they don't show you that smoking can really cause you to end up in your doctor's clinic if not hospital.
Why? Because smoking can cause you following disease in no time at all:
Heart and circulatory
- Coronary heart disease
- Atherosclerosis - fatty deposits in the arteries which can lead to strokes, peripheral vascular disease, gangrene, and aneurisms
- Buerger's disease, which can lead to gangrene.
- Mouth, nose and throat
- Myeloid leukaemia
- Chronic bronchitis, emphysema and other lung diseases
- Recurrent infections in the airways
- Damage and loss of efficiency in the lungs.
- Peptic ulcers (ulcers in the stomach and duodenum) - increase both in incidence and the time they take to heal
- Tobacco amblyopia (defective vision) and other eye diseases such as cataract
- Reduced fertility.
Spare your friends
Even if you smoke in places where it is allowed to smoke, you should be considerate about your non-smoker friends. If they don't express how much they hate smoke of cigarettes when you smoke in their presence don't consider that it is acceptable to them in any way.
ALIVE & HEALTHY
1. Cancer Research UK. Statistical Information Team, CancerStats Mortality - UK. 2007.
2. Peto, R., Smoking and death: the past 40 years and the next 40. BMJ, 1994. 309(6959): p. 937-9
3. Peto, R., et al., Mortality from Smoking in Developed Countries 1950-2000. 1994 Oxford University Press.
4. Board of Science and Education, Smoking and reproductive life. The impact of smoking on sexual, reproductive and child health. 2004.
More by this Author
This article contains several free samples of job transfer letters, letters asking for leave, and an apology letter. Feel free to copy, edit and use any of these letters.
Gemstones are very useful for the humankind. These stones have been used since time immemorial for ornaments and jewellry. Precious stones have been fixed on crowns of royals all over the world for thousands of year. In...
For free cover letters esp. for nurses, job transfer letters, apology letters and more visit this web-page. Writing formal letter will now be easier. You will also get to know how to address a letter.