Top 11 Habits to Cultivate a Peaceful Mind
Is Peace Possible?
Looking around, the world seems full of chaos, anger, fear and frustration. Watching the news, or even standing in line at the grocery, one can find myriad examples of inner chaos manifesting in the external world.
So is it even possible to find peace?
YES! Peace is not only possible, but it is a practical way to get through each day. Below, you will find ten easy ways to cultivate your own inner peacefulness.
Have an open mind
11. Practice unattachment: We create most of our own suffering, within ourselves. We become attached to people, things, events and outcomes. We have a vested interest in how things will work out, when they will happen, and what the outcome will look like.
Most of us do this with relationships, jobs, school, friendships, our health. The list goes on and on. We desire a particular outcome in a given situation, and when it turns out differently, we are miserable.
To cultivate a peaceful mind, practice keeping your mind open and relaxed. Release your desire to control the outcome. Allow yourself to believe that the best possible outcome is exactly what is happening.
Famous Giving Quotes
"For it is in giving that we receive." Francis of Assisi
"It is not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving." Mother Teresa
"No one is useless in this world, who lightens the burden of another." Charles Dickens
"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give." Kahlil Gibran
"Speak the truth, do not become angered, and give when asked, even be it a little. By these three conditions, one goes to the presence of the gods." Gautama Buddha
Give What You Have
10. Give of Yourself: Everyone has something to give. Whether you give of your time, your talent, or your treasures, you have something to offer.
A truly rewarding life is not based on what you get before you die. To live a full life, you must give of yourself. Getting caught in the getting trap leads to a cluttered mind that only wants more. You focus on how to get more, what to do with more, until your brain spins in dizzying circles of constant desire.
Now look around you. What can you give? What are the people in your life requesting? Are your children requesting more of your attention? Is your partner seeking more of your time? How can you best fulfill the requests of those around you?
Giving isn't only about money, but sometimes money is the perfect solution. If all you have to give is money, then give it. But you can look deeper inside yourself. Give something of yourself to someone today. Even if all you have to give is a smile, sometimes that can be exactly right.
Let It Go
To release resentment, try the following steps:
1. Express your feelings. It is okay to feel angry, hurt or sad. Whatever you feel, accept it and allow yourself to feel it.
2. Communicate your feelings. Tell the person who hurt you how you feel. It is okay to show your vulnerable side. Communicate clearly and calmly.
3. Practice being forgiving. You can't change the past, but you can forgive. Take away the power of the past to hurt you in the present.
9. Let go of blame and resentment: Resentment, anger, blame and unforgiveness work together to close the heart and clutter the mind. Releasing these heavy energies will lighten your load and help cultivate a peaceful mind.
Forgiveness is not for anyone but you.
When you forgive someone, you do nothing to them, but you free yourself from a multitude of health problems. Holding on to blame, frustration and resentment can kill you. It causes a host of health issues ranging from high blood pressure to stress, anxiety and explosive anger.
The energy of the fourth chakra, the heart, becomes dark and blocked. Not only will you feel this as a heaviness in your chest, but you could even suffer a heart attack or stroke.
It is so much easier to let it go. Blame will not change the past. Anger will not make someone apologize for the wrong they have caused. Disengage these emotions from your brain. You cannot change the past, and you cannot change anyone else. You only have control over yourself.
Rather than carrying around a load of blame, let it go, and let your mind be at peace.
Be True to Yourself
8. Be true to who you are: There is a song, deep inside of you. You know what it is. You know what makes you truly happy. You know what makes your heart sing.
Do the things that make you happy and fulfilled. While you may not always be able to do those things, try to live your life expressing who you truly are. Find ways to do more of what you love, and less of what causes you pain, emptiness or frustration.
Each one of us has a purpose. When you seek that purpose, look for things that bring you joy. Express who you truly are in your daily life, and try to let the other parts take a less prominent role. Minimize the things that drain your energy and maximize those that fulfill you.
Have you discovered what makes you smile?See results without voting
Benefits of quieting the mind
Silence lowers the blood pressure.
It allows the body and the brain to recharge, just like plugging in a rechargeable battery.
Silence allows the mind to quiet down and will help you connect to yourself.
Quieting the mind strengthens the immune system.
Silence releases endorphins into the brain, creating feelings of happiness and well-being, and increasing concentration.
Quieting the mind supercharges the body, helping you feel rested and energized.
7. Take time to quiet your mind. There is peace in silence. Taking time each day to sit quietly, whether you call it mediation, praying, or just observing, will deepen your peace.
The world is full of noise clutter. There is hardly a place to experience complete stillness, but you can enjoy the benefits of silence by quieting your mind. Just sit and let the chatter subside. Breathe in and smile. Breathe out and feel peaceful.
Is is as simple and as complicated as that. The mind will chatter unabated if allowed. By mindfully cultivating a quiet mind, we can bring peace and balance into our lives. Spending even five minutes in quiet has multiple benefits for the physical, mental, spiritual and energetic bodies.
The Gift of Silence
Let it Go
6. Release your past. Everyone has a past. We all have parts of our lives that we'd rather forget, and moments in our past that we are proud of. The compilation of these experiences creates who we are.
To enjoy a peaceful mind, let go of the story of your past. There is no need to bring it forward. You are not a victim. You have a past, and you have moved on beyond it. The past cannot be changed or altered. You can only change this moment now.
Rather than let the past color your days, look at it for what it was. It was an experience. It taught you lessons. Some lessons are good. Some lessons are hard. All lessons are valuable if you learn from them and use them to create a better life today.
5. Be willing to change your mind. Nothing is set in stone. Everything always changes.
Rigid thinking does not create a peaceful mind. Rigid thinking creates miser, suffering and unhappiness. If you hold fast to the notion that there is only one way, that your way is the right way, that there are no options, then you will fight and struggle to make things always that way.
Peace comes from unattachment to outcomes. Release your desire to control the outcome of a situation and be willing to see things differently.
You can see peace, instead of this.
Be, Do, Have
4. Act As If. What if you had everything you always wanted? What if you could have everything you always wanted? What if you want everything you already have? What if?
When you truly want something in your life, the best way to bring it about is to act as if you already have it. Believe that you have it. Act as though you have it. Be the person who has that thing. Then, do the things you would do, if you had that thing you want.
As you shift the energies of the Universe, you will create a series of events that will bring about your desires. Live your life as if you already have everything you want.
Focus your energy on gratitude and thankfulness for the blessings you already enjoy, and allow the Universe to bring about those things that you desire.
Act as if you already are, already do, already have everything you want.
A Divine Spark
3. Remember that you are a Spark of the Divine. You were created in the image of God, as a dazzling, beautiful fragment of the most intense, powerful creative force you can imagine.
You have that spark in you. You are that spark.
Embrace your divine nature. Listen to the small still voice that speaks inside you. Breathe deeply and smile.
Experience the beauty and serenity of nature. Let yourself be a part of something bigger than you.
Shift Your Thinking
2. Avoid weak thinking. There are thought patterns and emotions that help you feel strong, empowered, peaceful, and full of light. There are also thought patterns that leave you feeling drained, tired, dark, weak and helpless.
Strengthen yourself to focus on those things that bring you peace and inner power. Avoid thoughts that drag you down and drain you.
When you feel strong, you know that you are a spark of God himself. You know that you are blessed. You know that all things are possible. You know that you have the power to create. You know that you are capable of great things. You know you are love.
Those negative thoughts that creep in, that you aren't good enough, aren't lovable, aren't capable. All of those things, that come from voices in the past, only serve to tear down what you are building. They weaken the foundation of your mind. They destroy what you work to achieve.
Avoid those thoughts and any people who speak them. Stay away from negative, angry people, and people who want to drag you down. Shift your focus and look up.
Surround yourself with beautiful, happy people who want to lift you up and fill your life with goodness.
What do you expect?
1. What you expect, you will find. Life is not full of surprises. Life is full of fulfilled expectation. What you expect to find, you will find.
By thinking about and dwelling on things, you shift the energies of the Universe, and the Universe acts to draw to you what you are seeking.
Do you expect to have a terrible time on your date? You probably will. Do you expect to have a great experience with your family? Chances are, you will.
Set your expectations high, for good, and you will be delighted, but not surprised, when thinks work out exactly as you had hoped.
This is not to say that you should be attached to the outcome, and when things don't work out exactly as you had planned, then you are utterly miserable. Rather, expect that good things will happen, regardless of the situation and regardless of the circumstances.
When you expect things to end up well, then they likely will. When you expect that everything works for good in your life, you will see that it does. Sure, life is hard sometimes, but don't despair. It is not the end. In the end, it will all work out.
More by this Author
The end of a year, the beginning of a season, the start of a new day. These are all opportunities to let go and move forward. This article will help you move beyond the past, into a brand new now.
What is the secret to happiness? This article will help you discover the secret, and create happiness in your own life.
Learn about ten common ways that men destroy marriages.