Top 5 Signs You Work Out Too Much
There is nothing better than enjoying a good, hard workout. It gets your blood pumping, it makes you feel refreshed, and surprisingly, you feel as if you have had a burst of energy after you are done. But, did you ever wonder if you did too much?
I have felt that way a few times… usually when I am trying to get out of bed the next morning and find that I am stuck. Not because I sleep on a fly trap or anything, but because my muscles are so tight that I can’t even move. Usually this results in a few minutes of screaming until my husband pushes me off the bed and I have no choice to move since I am now laying facedown on the floor. (And for some odd reason I have forgotten to turn off the alarm and with my lack of ability to move, it is still going off!)
So, I have devised a list that will help you decide if your workout is too much, and maybe you should ease down a little bit.
- 5. The fifth way to tell that you have been spending way too much time at the gym is when you have completed every single machine and are now going back in rounds. You have been at the gym since opening time and have found they are finally trying to kick you out… maybe because it is closing time. You have spent the entire day at the gym, and have seen each and every person come… and go… before even finishing your own workout!
- 4. You have started to invite friends and family members to come to the gym with you so that you can use the hot tub for an evening party. It is a Bring Your Own Alcohol Party, but you require them to put clear alcohol in a water bottle so it just looks like everybody is just drinking water. (Disclaimer - I don’t recommend practicing this habit. Gyms usually frown on bringing alcohol into the establishment and you might end up losing your membership!)
- 3. You are now receiving personal phone calls at the gym because people know that is the only way to get a hold of you. They may have tried to get a hold of you by calling your cell phone, but because you are too busy working out, you either don’t answer, or you have it put away in a locker. Either way, family and friends have found this to be the easiest way to contact you.
- 2. You have started doing walking lunges everywhere you go. It doesn’t really matter if you are walking around your local Walmart or if you are just walking to your car, you are doing walking lunges, all in the name of getting in shape! And, if you find yourself standing in one position, you will randomly break out into air squats.
- 1. The top reason you know you have worked out for too long… you have finally decided to stop wasting your money on rent! After all, if you belong to 24 Hour Fitness, you never even have to leave the gym. (Disclaimer - Not all 24 Hour Fitness are actually open 24 hours. Therefore, if you would like to belong to this club based off of that schedule, check your local area for hours and club availability.) Therefore, the extra money you are spending on rent can be brought down to just renting out a storage unit. After all, if you are never home, does it make any sense to spend money having one!
Does it sound familiar?
So, if you fit into even 1 of these 5 signs that you spend too much time at the gym, or even worse, you are a perfect match for all 5, you might be prone to Exercisitis. Exercisitis is when you have overloaded yourself to the point of almost being allergic to exercise.
If you feel you are in need of help, or if you know anybody else who is in danger or reaching extreme levels, call 1-800-Exe-cise ext. 2much.
Disclaimer: If you are reading this article for any type of fitness fact, you are going to be disappointed. The number to call for help is fake; and if you do reach someone, I apologize because it is purely coincidental. I do hope, however, that this article will either encourage you to spend a little more time at the gym (or just working out) to stay healthy. But, I would also encourage people to avoid overload, which can lead to damaging results such as injury and exhaustion.
Exercisitis is a real ailment, better known as exercise-induced anaphylaxis. However, this term is also from data provided by the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America in 1989. While overloading can be dangerous, I am not a doctor and can not comment on whether it is true that excessive exercise can lead to an exercise allergy. However, if you have more current knowledge on Exercisitis, please feel free to leave a comment below and share with the rest of us. This article was intended for fun and humor and I don’t plan on doing any further research. Thank you for stopping by.
- Body Image
Try this. Get a pen or pencil and a sheet of paper. Set a timer for ten minutes then begin the exercise. I'd like you to draw a picture of how you think other people see you. You can be as artistic or as...
- Does your workout have balls?
Stability balls are great tools for your workout that are affordable. People buy a lot of gimmicky abdominal training tools from infomercials for more money than these gym staples. To see what is real or not...
- 10 Morning Routine Ideas for a Healthier and Happier Day
Starting your day off right is important. The following 10 morning activities will ensure that today is a beautiful day, tomorrow is even better, and you appreciate the birds chirping.
Articles that actually have valid Health information!
- The Truth Behind Coffee Creamers
How about a big ole cup of fat! As I was grabbing for my second cup of coffee today, I realized I had once again drained the contents of my White Chocolate Mocha flavored creamer. What I didnt realize...
- Should I hire a personal trainer?
Will hiring a personal trainer make the numbers on the scale move more efficiently than working out by yourself? When it comes to losing weight, the battle of the bulge is a difficult one most people find...
- Working Out - The Best Form of Self Torture
Working out is just another way to say you are participating in self torture. After all, you choose to work out, and then after you are done, if you sit down for just 15 minutes, suddenly you feel as if you...
Comments 33 comments
More by this Author
If you found a program that promised results in a short five days, could you make the commitment? Here are real results from the Turbo Fire Inferno Plan!
Turbo Fire is an intense cardio kickboxing class created by Chalene Johnson. It is a 12 week program that not only includes cardio, but also includes High Intensity Interval Training, and strength and core work. It will...
Not all states are created equal. If you want to cut hair in a different state, you will be required to transfer your license. On the first day of Beauty School, the last thought in your mind is the possibility of...