Top Health Benefits of Spinach
Who doesn't remember Popeye the Sailor Man? A fictional cartoon character who always had spinach on hand everytime he needed a quick boost to his muscles (biceps) to beat Bluto the villain and win over Olive Oyl. But anyway, why does Popeye chose to eat spinach and not something else? Why not some other food instead like carrots or asparagus? Well the answer is very simple, spinach is a healthy food that brings lots of nutritients in our body and that of course makes us strong and fit just like Popeye. To know more about this vegetable, let us try to list down some great health benefits of Spinach.
Health Benefits of Spinach
1. This green leafy vegetable is a great source of Vitamins A, B2, B6, C, and K, magnesium, calcium potassium, folate and iron. In addition to that it is also a great source of omega- 3 fatty acids which is a heart healthy.
2. Spinach also contains "lutein", which is known to prevent cataracts and any age related macular degeneration, the leading cause of vision loss in the elderly. It is also thought that lutein helps prevent cancer.
3. It has low calories but packed with vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Once you consume, there is nothing to worry about your weight- loss diet as it brings abundant and good nutrients to the body.
4. When you consume more of this food, it may also prevent gastrointestinal problems. The vitamin c and beta-carotene work together to protect the cells in the colon from any harmful effects of free radicals.
5. Spinach contains mineral iron which is important for women while menstruating and for growing juveniles. Compared to red meat, spinach is cholesterol and fat free, has a lot less calories and a great source of iron. And because iron is an element of hemoglobin that carries oxygen to our cells, therefore, it is needed to boost energy.
6. Spinach alkalizes our body in which minerals helps to balance the acid in your body. Green leafy vegetables like spinach help restore the body's proper pH. Our body need an average pH level of 7.36. A can of soft drink has a pH of 2.5 and it takes 28- 30 glasses of water in order to balance the acid in the body.
Now that we already know why popeye eats spinach. What are we waiting for? Hop inside the grocery store and don't forget spinach in your list as it provides amazing health benefits in our body.
Health Benefits of Spinach
For other Health Benefits from Foods, you may like the following.
- Top Health Benefits of Apples
What really makes an apple a day, that keeps doctors away? There must be something special with this kind of fruit that will make you crave for more apples. Well, let us try to figure it out. Apples have properties that cannot be found by other...
- Beauty And Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil
When I was young, my grandfather used to massage a home-made smelly kind of oil on my back for some cure or benefits. I remembered him telling me that he made it himself from coconut, but I just ignored it, anyways I was still young that time and...
- Health Benefits of Asparagus
Asparagus is one of many vegetables that bring lots of health benefits for the body. You want to know those? Better read this.
More by this Author
Anorexia plainly means a loss of appetite. Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder with a psychological disturbance affecting mainly teenage girls or young adult women, as well as males. It is characterized by an...
There are celebrities that are professionals, on time, responsible, and very flexible to their job. However, there are some who have shown some attitudes that lack sincerity due to their busy schedules which stress them...
Every country has its cultural traits. Here are some that Filipinos share.
No comments yet.