Treatment options for ageing skin
Glowing and healthy skin gives a youthful look. Almost all want to keep this youthfulness intact for long period of time. That's the reason, anti-aging creams are the most sold beauty aids in the world. Though science have managed to come up with few useful products, it is still a battle to retain the radiance of skin.
Skin is kept smooth and firm by a spongy mesh-work under the skin maintained by collagen, hyaluronic acid, and elastin. With age, its integrity is gradually lost due to less production of natural oils, sun damage and decreased cell turnover. Ultraviolet rays accelerates skin aging process and lead to age spots, wrinkles and melanomas.There are many preventive measures recommended by various experts to slow down this aging process which can be summed up in following simple, practical and useful tips:
- Sunscreen (SPF 15 or greater) and staying out of sun when it is most intense.
- Creams with Vitamin A can help prevent wrinkles and pigmentation.
- Vitamin A rich diet, like eggs, leafy vegetables, carrot.
- Adequate hydration.
Treatment options for aging skin
Botox is the brand name of a toxin produced by bacteria, Clostridium botulinium. Small amount of this toxin is injected into specific muscles ( e.g. frontalis muscle of forehead) which causes relaxation of the facial muscles by blocking the nerve signals. So, the muscles cannot contract thus causing wrinkles to relax and soften. Its effects last from four to six months.
Contraindications: Pregnant, breastfeeding, those with neurological disease.
Cosmetic fillers helps to fill out the thinned out meshwork under the skin surface, plumping the tissue and thus make skin smoother and firmer.
Collagen, hyaluronic acid, fat injection, poly-L lactic acid are the commonly used cosmetic fillers. Calcium hydroxyapatite ( bone minerals) and poly-methyl methacrylate are new cosmetic fillers that produce permanent cosmetic results.
Chemical Peel Treatment
Chemical solution is applied to the skin, which causes it to blister and peel off leading to regeneration of skin. These are used to reduce fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth. Other uses include:
- Treatment of wrinkles.
- Improving appearance of mild scarring.
- Treatment of certain types of acne.
- Reduction of age spots, freckles and dark patches
Antioxidants, Green Tea, Healthy Oils
- Antioxidants: They slow down and prevent the harm done by free radicals. Free radicals accelerates the aging process. Vitamin C, Vitamin E, selenium and coenzyme Q10 are antioxidants. Food rich in these antioxidants are vegetable oils, nuts, broccoli, beans, grapes, citrus fruits, olives, oysters, whole wheat pasta, green tea etc.
- Green tea has anti inflammatory actions, slow DNA damage and hence slow the aging process.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 are essential fatty acids which replenish natural oils of body. Olive, walnuts, salmon, sardines are the rich source of these fatty acids.
- Skincare creams with green tea, caffeine and grape seed extract are antioxidant rich.
Laser Skin Resurfacing (Lasabrasion)
In it, skin is removed layer by layer by directing laser beams at irregular skin. A partial face lasabrasion takes 30-45 minutes while the full face treatment takes 2 hours. It is new and popular treatment for reducing facial wrinkles, blemishes and acne scars.
Dermabrasion and Microdermabrasion
In dermabrasion, after skin is frozen, a special type of instrument is used to rub out the layer of skin. A new layer of smoother skin replaces the treated skin. In microdermabrasion, tiny crystals are sprayed on the skin and this works best on superficial problems like fine lines, dull skin, brown spots, mild acne scars and age spots. With microdermabrasion, skin recovers fully within 24 hours and has benefits of having no risks like in dermaabrasion, where anesthetics are used and skin bleeds.
Sclerotherapy for Varicose and spider Veins
is a medical procedure in which a saline solution is injected into the
vein which irritates and injures the vessel. In due time, the vessel
becomes scar tissue which fades later on. Response time is three to six
weeks for spider veins and three to four months for larger veins.
More by this Author
Zen poems and haiku are like word paintings. They paint a picture, a very living picture.Here are 10 most beautiful zen poems and haiku by masters like Basho, Dogen, Issa, Hofuku, Ekon. We need to read between the...
"M-M-M-My name is G-G-G-George", ".....(pause) my name is George". You may be the one or friend of one who is continuously wrestling with words. These interruptions in speech by repetition of a...
Zen is full of paradoxes. So are Zen quotes... It’s human tendency to segregate life events into good and bad. We say happiness, sorrow, pain, pleasure, life, death, friend, enemy, love, hate and so on. This...
No comments yet.