Medicinal & Other Uses Of Kala Namak (Black Salt), Rock Salt (Sendha Namak) & Table Salt
Salt is a mineral whose chemical formula is NaCl. Salt contains 40% sodium and 60% chloride on a weight basis.
Salt is imperative to life and is one of the basic elements of the human body. Existence of the human body is not possible without this element.
Salt is used to improve food flavor & preserve food. It regulates various functions of the body and is involved as a building block for various complex functions.
Ayurveda, however, also uses salt for health purposes.
Varieties Of Salt
Salt is available in a variety of forms. Some of them are:
Table salt, sea salt, celtic salt, pickilng salt,seasoned salt,kosher salt, popcorn salt, pretzel salt,rock salt, black salt etc.
For health purposes, Ayurveda uses 3 types of salts, viz:
- Table Salt called Namak in Hindi
- Rock Salt called Sendha Namak in Hindi
- Black Salt called Kala Namak in Hindi
It is these 3 types of salts that I refer to in this hub.
Kala Namak (Black Salt) And Its Health Benefits (In Hindi With English Subtitles)
Black Salt Crystals
Black salt is called Kala Namak in India.
It is a dark purple pink in the solid form. When powdered fine it is pink to dark greyish pink with a typical flavor and aroma somewhat akin to eggs.
Black salt is more hygroscopic than common salt and tends to absorb moisture pretty fast. Store it away from moisture and keeping the cap of the bottle or jar tightly closed helps by maintaining it in a dry form longer.
Black salt is used in preparing Indian snacks, chaats, chutneys, raitas and is used as a flavoring for many fried snacks, by sprinkling it as a topping. It is sprinkled on fruits too.
Black salt has a lower sodium content than table salt and its use helps top lower blood pressure.
It also helps in reducing gas and heartburn, is used as a digestive help and a laxative.
Sendha Namak (Rock Salt) & Its Health Benefits [In Hindi With English Subtitles]
Rock salt is called Sendha Namak in India.
Rock salt is obtained from the rock mountains and from the vast beds of dried up ancient lakes and seas. These beds may be hundreds of metres deep.
Rock salt is normally colorless to yellow in color but may also be in various hues of blue and pink, depending on the impurities in it.
It is a much larger grained, coarse, unrefined salt that has a number of impurities in it. It is mainly used in Ayurvedic medicines and during religious fasts in India.
Rock salt is used as a condiment and food preservative. It is less salty and has a lower sodium content than table salt and hence lowers blood pressure.
It is also used as a digestive aid and a to reliever of heartburn, a laxative and as a condiment apart from using it to sprinkle on ice surrounding the cylinder containing the homemade ice cream mix, to enable it to freeze faster.
As per Ayurveda, Rock salt is the best form of salt for us.
Medicinal Uses Of Salt
In Strong Smell Of Perspiration & Urine
If the urine & perspiration smell strongly one of the reasons could be taking too much salt. Hence, reduce salt consumption.
In Excessive Thirst
High salt consumption leads to excess thirst. So, reduce salt intake.
Take black salt, carom seeds, small Harad (Chebulic myrobalan dried fruit) and dry ginger in equal quantities. Grind all together. Take 1 tsp of this mix an hour after dinner for relief.
Take 15 gms Bhang(a preparation of the leaves and flower buds of the Hemp plant-cannabis indica) and 1 tsp salt. Boil this in 1 litre of water. When suitably cool dip a cloth in this water, wring the cloth to remove excess water and foment on the area of pain. Do this twice a day. Relieves in 2 to 3 weeks.
If digestion is weak, there is alternating constipation with loose motions and pain, take 5 gms black salt in hot water for relief.
In Shaky Teeth
Take a little black salt and some sesame oil. Massage the gums and teeth with this mixture.
For Tired & Painful Feet
Add salt in hot water and dip the legs up to the knees in the water. Massage the calves with this hot water too.
Put 4 tsp salt in a liter of hot water. Give fomentation with a cloth dipped in this.
In Insect Bites
Put salt in water and rub on the bite. It relieves burning, pain and swelling.
- Keep a pinch of salt on the tongue and 10 minutes later drink a glass of cold water.
- Put 3 gms salt in 1/4th cup water. Sniffing this water also relieves headaches.
Strain ground rock salt in a muslin cloth. Mix 1 part of this salt with 4 parts mustard oil. Brush and massage teeth and gums with this daily for relief. This also relieves tooth pain and sensitiveness of the teeth.
Put 1/2 tsp in 1/2 tsp honey and lick.
- Roast salt on a pan till it turns brown. Dose for children 1/2 tsp and for adults 1 tsp mixed well in a glass of hot water taken before the time the fever strikes. Take on empty stomach. It prevents the fever from coming on and even if it comes it is a low level fever.
Take for 2 to 3 days.
- Take 1 part rock salt and 4 parts brown sugar. Grind both fine. take 1/2 tsp of this 3 times daily for2 to 3 days on empty stomach, before the time fever normally strikes.
Add a pinch of salt to hot water and drink.
Take 6gms each of rock salt, black pepper and turmeric. Grind and add a glass of water to this and boil this till 1/2 glass of water remains. Drink hot for relief.
Mix 1 tsp salt in 1 glass of water (for adults). Drink once a day for 3 days. In case there is excessive thirst do not srink further. Drink water in sips to keep the tongue wet & moist but do not drink more water. It brings down the fever to normal sooner.
For Winter Skin Affections
Bathe with hot water to which salt has been added.
Add 1/2 tsp salt to a glass of water and drink for relief
Add salt to hot water and gargle with this. Also give hot water (add salt to this water) fomentation.
In Rheumatic Fever
Tie some salt in a cloth. Warm this salt and foment the swollen area.
In Poisoning & Intoxication
Add 60 gms salt in water and give to drinkl. It ensures vomiting out of the poison or intoxicating substance.
For Relieving Rough Skin
Wash with hot water to which salt has been added. Also, use this water for hot fomentation.
In Sprains & Bruises
Roast salt in a pan. Put in a thick cloth and tie this. Foment the affected area.
Add a pinch of salt and glucose to water and drink.
When pain is constant, put the thumb or a finger dipped in salt water for relief.
- Take dry ginger powder and powdered rock salt in eual measure. Mix well. Take 1 tsp of this with hot water.
- Mix 1 part rock salt and 4 parts ground Ajwain (Carom Seeds). Take 1/2 tsp of this twice a day,once in the morning & then in the evening.
- Take and grind equal quantities of rock salt, big cardamon ,dry mint, ajwain and black pepper. Take 1 tsp of this with water daily.
For Liver Pain
To 1/2 tsp rock salt and 4 tsp mustard seeds add water and grind to a paste. Apply on the liver area. After 5 minutes wash it off and apply ghee. It relieves pain.
- Grind & mix equal quantities of rock salt, black salt and table salt. Take 1/2 tsp of this with hot water to stop hiccups
If you are on a no salt diet due to medical reasons do not do this.
- Take 1/2 tsp black salt, juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1 tsp honey. Mix all and consume. It soon stops hiccups.. One can take this every 20 minutes till hiccups stop.
- Boil 60 gms ground mustard seeds in 1 liter water. Simmer till 250 ml water remains. Add rock salt to taste and drink.
For Cough & Phlegm
Suck some rock salt for relief.
In Tootache And Pain In Gums
Massage with rock salt.
In Tonsils, Throat Pain, Toothache & Swelling
Gargle with water to which salt has been added.
In Scorpion Bite
- Put Put 4 drops of saturated salt solution in the ear opposite to the side one is bitten. This relieves pain faster.
- Mix 1 part salt with 5 parts water. Apply this water in the eye as one would apply Kaajal. It promptly removes the effect of the bite.
Saturated salt solution can also be applied on insect bites for faster relief.
Those suffering from hysteria, epileptic fits, high blood pressure, swellings, kidney diseases, ringworm, itching, gout should not eat salt.
Table Salt is called Namak in India.
Table salt is a refined form of rock salt along with some additives, like calcium silicate, to keep it free flowing.
It is produced from rock salt or sea salt. Iodised table salt contains potassium iodide and dextrose (a stabiliser for the iodide)to prevent goitre and mental retardation.
Plain table salt is free from potassium iodide and dextrose.
Other Uses Of Salt
About 18% of the world's salt production is food grade, used for human consumption.
The major part of the production is used industrially to produce pulp, paper, in the textile industry as a fixing agent for dyes and in the manufacture of soaps and detergents.
Salt is also used in the rubber, glass, pharmaceutical, cosmetics leather, pvc pipe manufacturing industries. It is also used for preservation of foods especially meats.
Commercial feeds for livestock, poultry and pets use salt as one of its ingredients.
Europe, United States and the snow belt regions worldwide use salt for winter road safety to remove snow and ice bonded to the road surface and as a strategy to prevent or delay snow and ice bonding to the roads.
Some Facts Relating to Salt Consumption
- All things that are consumed have good as well as bad effects. Whenever and wherever natural foods are suggested to relieve any health condition, it must be understood that their usage has to be in limited and small quantity and only when necessary.
Anytime one feels aggravation of any type, stop further use.
- It is common knowledge that salt use in itching, boils, high blood pressure, swellings is harmful. When a patient is advised to stay off salt for health reasons, he finds the food tasteless and bland since we are so used to salt eating.
- It must be remembered that fruits and vegetables contain salt in the form of sodium naturally. This salt is enough to meet the body's need and requirement. There is no need to add extra salt. But we have been so conditioned and our bodies so attuned to extra addition of salt that we tend to sprinkle salt on food thinking the extra salt will make it more tasty.
- Ayurvedic texts of Charak and Sushrit shastras have expounded on the ill effects of high salt consumption, among them being, increased thirst, weakening of the sinews, hair loss & premature greying of hair, and even becoming unconscious.
- Hence, salt consumption should be as little as possible. People who stop salt totally find that they can enjoy the real taste of food albeit after remaining off salt for sometime.
- We must therefore, not think of salt as a necessary component of food but use it more as a medicine and that too in as little a quantity as possible.
Did you know about that there were so many varieties and uses of salt?See results without voting
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements.
Some of my other hubs on healthy foods
- Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps And Their Health Benefits
Himalayan crystal salt lamps are made from the salt blocks mined from the ancient dried up lakes at the himalayan foothills. They exhibit numerous health giving properties. To know how you can benefit from their use, read on...
- Health Benefits Of Himalayan Salt And Benefits Of Sole
Salt is as essential a component of the human body as water. It is needed for various functions in the body. Himalayan salt is the only salt that provides all the essential minerals that the body needs. find out the health benefits of Himalayan salt
- Benefits Of Collard Greens
Collard greens are the leaves of various cultivars of Brassica oleracea. Collard greens stand head over heels above other cruciferous vegetables in preventing a wide variety of cancers. To know the various health benefits of collard greens, read on..
- Honey & Health - Manuka Honey
Honey is a natural food made by the honey bees. Of all the honeys available, manuka honey stands out as the one most beneficial to health. To find out whick manuka honey is the best and why, read on...
- Health Benefits Of Wheat grass And Wheatgrass Juice
Wheat Grass therapy was pioneered by Dr. Ann Wigmore and is said to be a revolutionary therapy in many deadly diseases, like cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, leprosy etc. To know more about this therapy, read on....
Benefits Of Salt
More by this Author
Gur or Jaggery was the traditional sweetener much before the modern day white sugar came into being. This unrefined, coarse and pure sweetener has innumerable benefits. To know about the various health benefits of...
- 17Charoli or Chironji: The Indian Medicinal Plant and Its Health Benefits, Nutrients, Uses and Recipes
Charoli or chironji is an Indian medicinal plant whose seeds are used in sweet desserts and cuisine. They are also used in Ayurveda. Read to learn about its health benefits, nutrients, uses and more...
The Biochemic Tissue Salts or remedies are used in one system of alternate medicine which was developed by Dr. W.H.Schuessler, a German doctor. In this article, I explain in simple terms how they are to be used to...