About Vegetarianism And A Vegetarian Diet - Some Health Aspects And Benefits
Who is a Vegetarian
One is a Vegetarian if one eats vegetables, fruits and milk and milk products or eggs but no meat and fish.
There are different types of vegetarians within this broad term.
Lacto-Vegetarians are those whose diet includes milk and milk products but no eggs, meat or fish.
Ovo-Vegetarians are those whose diet includes eggs, vegetables and fruit but no milk or milk products.
Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarians are those whose diet includes both eggs and milk including milk products in addition to vegetables and fruit.
Vegans are those who avoid milk, milk products,eggs and even honey eating just vegetables and fruit. In fact, Vegans avoid using products made by association to animals in any form like soaps containing animal fats, wool, leather etc and even products tested on animals.
Do Not Miss This Video
What Does Food Do?
We eat food primarily to sustain our body and then to remain healthy and to be able to do our daily chores. The food that we eat has various functions to perform viz
- Build body tissues, contribute to growth and maintenance of the body and make up the energy loss.
- Give heat and energy to the body.
- Help us perform our daily work.
- Build immunity to disease and keep us healthy and disease free.
A Must see Video
Important Nutrients Needed By Us
These nutrients are available in vegetables fruits, lentils, milk and grains.
In a non vegetarian diet some of these are totally missing, some are in trace quantities and some in excessive quantities which affect the digestion.
Some Lesser Known Facts About vegetarian Diet
1. Vegetarian diet as compared to a non vegetarian diet is more nutritious and beneficial for health. These views are also endorsed by scientists, philosophers and therapists belonging to developed nations.
2. Vegetarian diet causes a lower stress on the digestive system, to digest food and takes less time to digest too.
3. It is a myth that meat eaters have a healthier body. The strongest animals like elephants, horses, bulls are purely vegetarian.
4. What we eat definitely affects our thoughts and actions.
5. Our internal body structure and constitution is more suited to a vegetarian diet.
6. A vegetarian diet is less expensive than a non vegetarian diet.
7. Many famous personalities like Leonardo Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin, Leo Tolstoy, George Bernard Shaw and Mahatma Gandhi were amongst those who were vegetarians or adopted a vegetarian diet.
In current times, the late Michael Jackson,swimmers Murray and Johny Weissmuller, Australian weightlifter A. Anderson and basketball player Bill Walton, are some of the well known personalities who are vegetarians.
8. The anatomies of carnivores (flesh eaters), herbivores (vegetation eaters) and humans show that by the internal and external body structure man ought to be a vegetarian.
Humans and herbivores have no claws, no sharp front teeth for tearing meat, their stomach has weak acid and they perspire through their skin, while the carnivores have claws, sharp front teeth and their stomach acid is much more stronger.
The effect of meat on health
Effects Of Animal Fats On The Human Body
Ill effects of a Non Vegetarian Diet
1. It makes one more aggressive and violent than a vegetarian diet.
2. It leads to obesity, high blood pressure, cancer, arthritis,diabetes,heart disease etc.
3. It leads to disturbances in digestion, makes sweat offensive smelling.
4. Meat has high concentration of saturated fat. Also meat, egg and milk producing animals are fed hormones,antibiotics etc which remain in their tissues, if proper withdrawal period of the drugs are not adhered to, can reach the consumer causing health problems.
Eggs are rich in cholesterol. Both meat and eggs can cause a higher incidence of heart disease and brain stroke.
6. The urine of meat eaters is more acidic. Due to disturbances in the acid and alkaline ratio of the blood, bones become weak.
7. Due to the high levels of cholesterol in meat and eggs, incidences of heart diseases, high blood pressure, kidney diseases and stones in kidney, gall bladder etc are higher.
8. The fat and germs present in meat decrease the body's immunity.
Benefits Of A Vegetarian Diet
How To Plan A Healthy Vegetarian Diet
Benefits- Facts of a Vegetarian Diet
1. A vegetarian diet gives a longer and healthier life.
2. The principle of a vegetarian diet is one of Ahimsa (non violence).
3. Vegetarian diet saves one from the ill effects of eating a diseased animal or consuming medicinal, pesticidal,hormonal residues which are found in the tissues and organs of animals.
4. Mustard oil, green vegetables lentils etc reduce cholesterol.
5. From a spiritual point of view a vegetarian diet is more suited as the senses are more in control.
6. It is cheaper than a non vegetarian diet.
7.Consuming fruits is a good prevention against any possible deficiency of vitamins and minerals.
8. Consumption of a handful of roasted gram every morning is an insurance against pleurisy or wasting diseases.
9. A patient is always advised a fruit juice or vegetable juice diet as it is easier on the digestive system.
Are you a vegetarian?See results without voting
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or embarking on a new health regime.
Some Links On Vegetarian Diet
- Humans Were Not Created To Eat Meat - Vegetarian Diet Is Healthier
There are many reasons why you should have a more vegetarian diet, to include reducing animal cruelty, helping the environment, decreasing world hunger, protecting worker's rights, and bettering your health. Animals in meat factories have no legal...
- What are the benefits of being a vegetarian? (Health facts only)
Did you know these facts? * Vegetarian foods are a major source of nutrition for most people in the world. * Vegetarians have lower rates of heart disease and some forms of cancer than non-vegetarians. * Vegetarian diets can be simple...
Some Of My Hubs On Other Health Topics
- The Effects Of Fatty Foods And Fats - Saturated, Unsaturated, Polyunsaturated And Trans Fats - On Th
Fats - the very name is confusing and scary. Which should one eat? Which is healthy? Which should one avoid? Why Eat This? Why Avoid That? Want to have answers to these questions and more? Then read on...
- Sodas And Carbonated Drinks - Why Does It Not Quench Your Thirst?
It has become very common to reach out for a cola or a fizzy drink when we are thirsty or during hot weather, hoping that they will quench our thirst, refresh and cool us. But do they really do what they are supposed to do? To find out, read on...
- MSG - MonoSodium Glutamate - The Common Food Additive, Its Allergy Effects And Its Long Term Adverse
MSG or mono sodium glutamate, the cause of a variety of disease conditions is added to a mind boggling number of foods. Read the far reaching health implications of this food additive that is added to enhance the perception of flavor of food..
© 2011 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Milk is a universally available natural food. It contains all nutrients necessary for our growth. Read on to find the health benefits of drinking this white nectar...
Almonds are amongst the healthiest of nuts. To find out more about almond and the benefits of eating almonds soaked in water, read on...
Onions are so commonly used in almost all dishes that we are not aware of the immense health benefits they offer. To know more, read on.