WHAT IS RHINOLITH ?
FORMATION OF STONE IN THE NASAL CAVITY
RHINOLITH is the formation of a stone in the nasal cavity due to deposition of calcium, magnesium and phosphate salts.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF RHINOLITH OR STONE FORMATION IN THE NASAL CAVITY ?
The causes of stone formation in the nasal cavity are as under :
1)Collection of calcium, magnesium and phosphate salts over a forgotten foreign body.
2)Collection over dried pus or blood clots.
WHAT IS THE PATHOLOGY ?
NAKED EYE APPEARANCE :
If we see the Rhinolith or nasal stone with naked eye, it is greenish or black, friable or hard stone like material of various sizes and the surface is irregular.
UNDER MICROSCOPE : We can see the Concentric layers of the salts mentioned above and the centre may consist of a body.
WHAT ARE THE COMPLICATIONS OF RHINOLITH OR STONE FORMATION IN THE NOSE?
1) Formation of granuloma.
2) Perforation of septum, palate or lateral wall due to pressure errosion.
1) Patient will give you a history of Unilateral blood stained foul discharge.
2) There will be Nasal Obstruction.
3) There will be Stone like feeling and appearance in the nose.
4) On X-Ray we can see Radio-Opacity.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT ?
Removal of Rhinolith or nasal stone by crushing in small pieces either in Local or General Anaesthesia.