Do Waist Trimmer Belts Work for Fat Loss?
Waist Belts for Weight Loss
Maybe you've seen advertisements for waist trimmer belts. Maybe your girl friend is an Avon representative, and has suggested you buy one from her. Maybe you're a member of Curves or Bally's, and had a fitness instructor or personal trainer recommend a trimmer belt to you. Being a savvy customer, of course, you want to do your research first.
So do waist trimmers work, or do they just slim your wallet? Get the skinny on tummy trimmers below.
Burn Fat or Lose Water Weight?
Sometimes called "sauna belts," these waist cinchers are often made of neoprene (wetsuit material) or some insulator, trapping heat around the midsection and inducing sweat. Some are advertised for wear under normal clothing, others as an addition to your exercise wear for extra boost to the fat-burning power of your workout.
However, as any dieter or nutritionist knows, just sweating more isn't necessarily going to lead to fat loss. Losing water weight is alluring, since those are the easiest pounds to shed, but the fact is, if that's all you're shedding, it's not sustainable or even "real" weight loss. You may lose inches off your waist, but that is simply due to the dehydration of your tissues. Drink a few glasses of water or eat a meal, and the inches and pounds come right back.
There is something to be said for these belts, in that they increase blood circulation to the area, and therefore metabolism, which can contribute to weight loss, but if you're looking for instant (permanent) shrinkage, you're going to be disappointed.
Buy A Waist Slimmer Belt
How to Use a Waist Trimmer Belt
If you decide to buy a neoprene waist trimming belt, you should have realistic expectations about the weight loss results. Also, be sure to use the waist slimmer safely. A few tips for responsible use:
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after wearing your waist trimmer. If you know you are prone to dehydration, drink an electrolyte drink.
- Do not cinch the belt too tight. It should support you and encourage better posture, but you do not want to cut off circulation -- you want to increase it.
- Do not measure your waist too often. A sauna belt may help you lose inches off your waist, and lose inches fast (within one session of use), but those inches will come back as soon as you rehydrate yourself. Measure yourself only once a month so that you don't get discouraged, and can see your more permanent progress over time.
- Never wear your trimmer belt under your work clothes. Neoprene waist trimmers create a lot of sweat, which will create embarrassing wet spots and stains. Wear them only around the house or while exercising.
- Finally, only use your belt only as a part of a healthy exercise regimen. It is not a miracle fix for belly fat, and should not be used as such. Concentrate on your health, rather than your weight, and think of the waist trimmer as encouragement to sit up straighter, walk tall, and remind you to keep your abs engaged.
Have you tried using a waist trimming belt or similar product? Share your experiences or product reviews below.
More by this Author
the average person spends most of their lives in at least a partial state of dehydration, leading to symptoms that are easily enough avoided simply by giving your body the fluids it needs...
Brief bios and pics of eating disordered celebrities.
Recipes for no-guilt sweets and treats for those counting Weight Watchers points: Brownies, Shakes, Slushies, and Cookies galore!