The Best Time To Walk Is After Your Evening Meal
A leisurely walk is all it takes
According to the researchers in the Department of Exercise Science at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, walking shortly after a meal is a highly effective way to burn energy. We are burning calories as well, so essentially we are getting a double boost. Walking is an easy and convenient way to exercise. All we have to do is set the time and the place.
Instead of plopping down in front of our TV sets, or sitting endlessly at the computer, we can choose to take a nice leisurely walk after our evening meal. Sitting on our butts by the way promotes fat-forming, fatigue, and grumpiness. Wouldn't you rather burn calories, fat and get a rush of energy by way of a walk after eating supper?
A healthy walk or some other light exercise program after your evening meal may also help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep according to the Mayo Clinic Sleep Disorders Center in Rochester MN. Light evening exercise can also help ease those late-night cravings for high fat foods and sweet sugary snacks, encouraging you to add healthy snacks instead.
A light 10 minute walk started 15-20 minutes after your meal, is all it takes to stretch our muscles and adjust our metabolism. It is best not to walk immediately after our meal, it could cause acid reflux or other stomach upsets.
Keep our pace light and comfortable, the most effective is a slow sustained walk. Avoid walking briskly, as this could make our food much harder to digest. The key ingredient here is to enjoy ourselves, stay healthy, and get energized while light walking.
Benefits of walking
The benefits of walking are far better than not walking at all. Walking in itself for the joy of walking should be enough. But unfortunately it isn't that simple. What will walking do for you?
- It can improve digestion and blood sugar levels.
- Walking 20 minutes a day will burn 7 pounds of body fat a year.
- Depression. Walking triggers endorphins, helps with relaxation, can prevent anxiety and depression.
- Heart disease. Can reduce stress, blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.
- Cuts Alzheimer's Disease risk by 50% over 5 years.
- Builds and tones muscles.
- Risk factors for upper respiratory infections can be reduced by 30% by a daily walk.
- Improve sleep quality
Those are just a few of the reasons walking after a meal everyday can improve the quality of our lives. Just a short 10-15 minute walk every day to give us the gift of a better and much improved life.
Read another Hub
- Keep Your Indoor Cat Happy And Healthy
Keeping your cat indoors can add years to it's life, with the proper nutrition and exercise, your cat can be happy and healthy living completely indoors.
- Fun Strategies To Get You Get You In The Mood To Exe...
After a good workout! Regular exercise can be beneficial in so many ways. It is an excellent health benefit, good for your mental alertness, it gives you an energy boost and is a super great stress reliever. And most favorably, if not importantly,...
- Moving Tips To Make Your Move Less Stressful
Relocating is never an easy process. Moving is an art form in itself. Hard work and patience is one key ingredient to the art of relocation. My experience with moving across state lines.
'It's hard enough to walk, much less walk after a meal." I know, I hear that! But the positives most certainly outweigh the negatives. But here are a few things to get you in the mood and walking after eating.
- Do you have a dog? If so, this is the perfect time to take your pooch outside.
- Do you live in the city? If so, walk home. Forget the bus, the subway or the taxi. If it's safe take the walk.
- Think positive, think of the benefits we'll reap by walking. Think of the sleep we'll get by walking after our meal.
- A good time to check out the neighborhood, stop in and visit with a neighbor, catch up on the goings on.
- A reason to buy a new pair of walking shoes.
- The beauty of being outside. Smell the fresh air, the flowers, the rain, the sun on or face.
- Think of it as preventing Type 2 diabetes.
Walking after our evening meal as many benefits as you can see. I do believe walking after our evening meal can improve our cholesterol, sugar levels, our minds, our hearts and our moods. So, those are some of the reasons walking after we eat can be a great motivator. We really have nothing to lose, well except maybe a few extra pounds. So I say let's get up and just do it.
Eat, enjoy, rest and walk, walk, walk.
More by this Author
Swimming is a fun activity many people enjoy. It is also a low impact way to get exercise and stay active when traditional exercise isn't your cup of tea. And you don't have to be an expert swimmer.
losing weight doesn't have to be hard, simple and effective exercise programs can help keep excess weight off while staying toned.
Writing can often be easy, but not always. Many times during a writing career you slam dunk into writer's block, wondering what to write about. To get you started on some idea's, check out these 29 creative writing...