Walking is Man’s Best Medicine
Walking is Man’s Best Medicine
People both young and old, today have a much sedentary lifestyle than before. You probably could relate with that if you are one of the many people who work many hours at the desk or in front of the computer with little or no physical activity. It is so easy to be inactive if you have lifestyle that require commuting long distance and driving for hours, spend time playing video games for hours or watching television program. Sedentary lifestyle tends to have a decrease in health and fitness.
Move away from sedentary lifestyle, you know you have to start getting up and getting out. Here is some ways to do that, start simply doing brisk walking. It is a low impact exercise and the easiest and most in inexpensive way to invest in your health and well being.
Brisk walking as the first goal!
Brisk walking is aerobic exercise, easy to participate, can be done alone or in the company of friends and have fun together. No equipment is required. Walking helps to keep you strong and fit and is regarded as one of the best exercise to improve blood circulation. Brisk walking increases blood supply to the muscles which in turn improves heart pumping efficiency and enables oxygen rich blood to be delivered faster to the muscles and organs of the body. Beside there are many other benefits like:
- Helps burn calories, reduce weight and trim waist line.
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Helps control diabetes
- Helps improve your mood
- Helps to lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol
- Improve immune system
- Helps toning of your posterior
Starting a Walk a Day…..
What would you need?
- Get a good pair of comfortable walking shoesthat has good arch support, slip resistant soles, and flexible.
- Also wear loose fitting clothes and bright color ones if walking in the dark.
- Bring along a wristwatch of other timepiece to track the time to keep to consistent walking duration.
- Optional to have walking stick but it is useful for balance or as protection tool if there are stray dogs around.
How to start: option 1
- Pick a time slot in your day where you can start brisk walking for10 minutes a day at a moderate speed and slowly increasing your walk time to the recommended duration.
- If you have not walked for some time, start off with walking for 5 minutes, return to the starting point. See how you feel and rest for while before heading out again. You can extend the walking duration the next round.
- You can vary your walking path, like varying from outdoor to indoor, from flat path to low gradient to climbing a slope, from walking in parks to walking on sand on the beach.
- Choose the days that suit your schedule to walk and get into the routine of brisk walking.
- A regular walking regimen for at least 30 minutes, 5 days per week is recommended.
How to start: option 2
- Another way is start to increase you daily steps. A sedentary person on the average takes around 1000 to 3000 steps a day. A total of 10,000 steps per day, which is equivalent to 5 miles or 8.0 km, are recommended to move into active lifestyle.
- You can use a pedometer or step recording equipment that is easily strap to the body to record the numbers of steps taken for the day.
- There are many ways to increase your daily steps while doing your daily routine and during you leisure time
- Walk around the room in between watching TV program, during advertisement time
- Walk up the TV to change channels
- Park the car further and walk to office building or shopping mall
- Walk up the stairs instead of taking the escalator
- Take a short walk in the garden after dinner
- Walk to the cafeteria and store to buy food
- Window shopping during weekends
- Walk the dog
- Walk across to your colleagues table instead of using the phone
- Take the kids for a walk
No comments yet.