What Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome | Top 6 Home Remedies
It is estimated that 1 in every 5 people do suffer from irritable bowel syndrome with profound signs and symptoms of bloating, gas, alternate diarrhea with constipation, stomachache, passing of mucus in the stool, and change in bowel habits amongst other.
One of the major causes I know is lactose intolerance which is present in milk. This is due to the absence of lactase enzyme in our body which is required to digest lactulose. There are so many other things which can trigger IBS. My brother in law gets IBS after eating capsicum. One of my friends gets IBS every time his boss reprimands him for any work issue. So, it could be psychological and emotional too.
What is irritable bowel syndrome?
We eat food, digest it and the absorb the nutritious components of food like vitamin, mineral, carbohydrate, fat, protein etc., and then excrete the remaining waste. All these work is done by a system known as gastrointestinal system.
When this gastrointestinal tract not malfunctions it is known as irritable bowel syndrome, because the gastrointestinal tract gets irritated due to various factors like psychological, genetically, environmental, physical, or food sensitivity.
Side Effects Of Not Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome
a) It causes malnutrition in the long term due to malabsorption in the intestine.
b) Excessive flatulence making one very uneasy and wary of socializing with others.
c) Irregular bowel movements disturb one's commitment for work schedule and many important work suffers which leads to demotion.
d) Wary of eating outside as you do not know which thing will trigger your IBS.
e) If left untreated, can damage the whole gastrointestinal tract and lead to life threatening disease like ulcer, hemorrhoids, and even cancer.
What Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome | Top 6 Home Remedies
1) Fasting — India is famous for two things Yoga and Ayurveda (the traditional herbal medicine). In Ayurveda, apart from giving herbal medicine, it is an established principle to observe complete fast either a day in a week or every fortnight. We keep on putting different kind of food and drinks in our gastrointestinal system that is stomach, intestine, rectum, etc. and toxins keep on building in this tract and it started malfunctioning or abnormally function like gas, bloating, excessive flatulence, acidity, poor absorption of food, malnutrition, stomachache amongst others. When we fast, in the absence of food, the gastrointestinal tract cleanses the tract, so we get back to the original position. So, we must fast for a day every week or fortnight if our body allows. Fast means eating nothing for a day except water and you may have freshly cut aloe vera pulp or bottled Aloe juice.
2) Chitrakadi vati — It is another amazing herbal medicine which works wonder for IBS. In pharmacological science there is no permanent treatment for IBS, as the cause of the disease is yet to establish. But in Ayurveda (Indian herbal medicine) it is absolutely treatable through Chitrakadi vati. It frees the body of all the toxins and waste which are responsible for IBS. Buy a bottle of this herbal medicine and use as instructed in the bottle.
Apart from IBS, it helps in indigestion, lake of appetite, malabsorption, and abdominal gas.
3) Sanjeevani vati —Sanjeevani means immortality. Vati means herbal tablets. Sanjeevani vati is an amalgamation of different herbs, which apart from treating IBS boosts our immune system. This is very effective in the long-term benefits of gut function. So buy Sanjeevani vati and use it as written on the bottle.
4) Aegle marmelos or bael — The fruit and leaves of bael tree are offered to god while praying in India. This bael fruit is very good in treating IBS, as it contains digestive and antiinflammatory properties apart from being antihelmintic which kills the bad germs of the intestinal tract responsible for causing IBS. Only the inner soft pulp after separating the seeds is edible. Simply take a fully ripen bael, break its hard outer covering, take out the pulp, take all the seeds out and then mash the pulp and add water and prepare a drink. Alternatively, you can eat the pulp directly also. It is sweet in taste and leaves a bitter aftertaste.
5) Aloe Vera — Nothing is better than Aloe vera when it comes to IBS or any kind of stomach upset, gas, or constipation. It is a nature's gift to cure our digestive tract.
Start your day with Aloe vera. After doing your morning ablutions, pluck the outer leaf from the Aloe vera plant. Cut this length wise and take out the pulp inside and eat. If you do not live in a hot country or do not have access to Aloe vera plant, buy a good Aloe juice from a reputed seller and start your day with this.
How Aloe works. It contains anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, laxative, and cleansing properties. So, it cleanses our bowel from germs and bugs and within a month or two we feel fresh. Also, being a pre-biotic means it helps in developing healthy bacterial flora in our stomach which are helpful eliminating the bad ones. Also, it contains many minerals, vitamins, and amino acids which further nourish our body.
6) Curcumin capsule — Curcumin is the extracted from Turmeric, so it is herbal. It is very beneficial for treating IBS and rectifying the malfunction of our gut or intestine. Buy a bottle of curcumin and take the herbal tablets as mentioned on the bottle. The appropriate dose is approximately 5 to 10 grams of curcumin a day.
Apart from treating irritable bowel syndrome, it will benefit you for joint pains, cholesterol lowering, yeast infection, and asthma.
I wish that you will incorporate and benefit from all the remedies written for IBS in this article What Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome | Top 6 Home Remedies.
My Few Other Useful Articles
Irritable Bowel Treatment Through Herbs
More by this Author
Please listen to this youtube content and read this article before ordering anything from Snapdeal.
When we visited Rajasthan, I was completely awestruck by this dish and now have planned again to visit that place especially to enjoy this dish. Rajasthan is a dry and arid region of India. Here people eat very spicy...
After having a hearty meal, I went to sleep and got up in the morning to find my hugely swollen lip and hives all over my hands which startled me. My doctor called it as hives allergic reaction. Hives are also called...