Oil Pulling With Sesame Oil And Its Many Health Benefits
History Of Oil Pulling
History of oil pulling dates back to thousands of years. The Ayurvedic text "Charak Samhita" and Sushreeta's "Arth Shastra" written around 1500 BC, mentions this procedure, which was termed "Kavala Graha" or "Kavala Gandoosha" then.
The modern day terminology "Oil Pulling" was put forth by Dr. F. Karach, a Ukranian doctor in the year 1992 when he presented a paper on this technique at a conference of "The Union of Oncologists & Bacteriologists" in the USSR.
He said that oil pulling was so effective that one could not only avoid taking drugs for healing diseases but avoid surgeries in many cases as well. He believed that since oil pulling slows down down the aging process, as it removes toxins from the body, heals tissues, humans could live to about 140 to 150 years of age.
Why Does Oil Pulling For Teeth Work
According to Ayurveda, specific locations on the tongue are related to specific organs of the human body. Organs like stomach, intestines, colon, kidneys, spleen, liver, lungs, heart, pancreas and spine each one of them has a particular area assigned to it on the surface of the tongue.
When oil is swished around in the mouth and teeth these organ locations are stimulated due to the massage like actions of swishing and pulling the oil.
Method Of Oil Pulling
For oil pulling the best oils are sesame and sunflower oils. The method is very simple.
- Take 1 tablespoon of sesame oil or sunflower oil in the mouth. Do not swallow.
- Swish this oil all around the mouth. Also, pull the oil in between the teeth. All this swishing and pulling has to be done gently, without effort & strain.
- Do this for a period of 15 to 20 minutes.
- As you do this procedure the oil which is yellow and viscous in the beginning will become thinner as the saliva mixes with it. The toxins which start coming out will also tend to make this oil lighter in color thin and foamy.
- Once you have done it for the required amount of time, spit out the oil and rinse the mouth well with ordinary tap water. You can brush your teeth after this in your usual way.
Some Points To Be Taken Care Of While Doing Oil Pulling
- Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach in the early morning before even drinking any water everyday. Though early morning time is the best time for oil pulling, it can be done anytime of the day taking care to do it only 4 hours after a meal.
- It is not necessary to brush the teeth before oil pulling.
- Oil pulling should be done for a period of 15 to 20 minutes. If you are doing it for the first time try doing it for 3 to 4 minutes initially to get comfortable with the feel of oil in the mouth, which you will be sooner than you expected.
- If you wish you can do it with the head lowered a bit towards the chin.
- After spitting out the oil the mouth can be rinsed with plain tap water. Some suggest that it should be done with salt water.
- If for any reason you have to spit out the oil before you finish the procedure, it can can be restarted with fresh oil again.
- Do not swallow the oil as it is teeming with bacteria. However if you happen to swallow it by chance, do not worry, it will be eliminated in due course.
- If you are allergic to any oil change the brand or the oil itself. It can be done with other oils but the benefits may not be consistent.
- It is better to do oil pulling with cold pressed oil.
Health Benefits Of Oil Pulling For Teeth
The most immediately noticeable effect is that the teeth become whiter and firmer. The gums get pinker and the breath fresher. Overall better dental health accrues by doing oil pulling for teeth.
The other benefits include relief from the following :
Headaches, migraine, allergies, bronchitis, asthma, arthritis, eczema, stomach ailments, heart disease, kidney diseases, mucus congestion, ulcers, diabetes, back pain, skin affections,insomnia,sinusitis, women's diseases etc.
Some Noteworthy Points
- Remove dentures before doing oil pulling for teeth.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers can also do oil pulling for teeth.
- If more saliva is secreted during oil pulling reduce the amount of oil taken initially.
- Quantity of oil to be taken :
Children over 5 years - 5 ml, Adults - 10 ml
- Do not do immediately after a meal as vomiting might occur.
- After doing oil pulling rinse the mouth well and then one can eat or drink immediately.
- As the oil during swishing or pulling is loaded with bacteria, it should not be ingested. If you feel the urge to spill it out for any reason like a cough or sneeze coming, do it. If you haven’t done the full duration restart again.
- The best oil is sesame oil because it has a lot of medicinal properties.
- Oil pulling can be done during fever, illness or even when women have their periods.
- You can do other work during oil pulling but ensure that you do not lose concentration of the main work.
- One can drink water prior to oil pulling although it is best to drink it at least ½ hour before starting the therapy.
- Oil pulling for teeth should be done in a single session of 20 minutes and not split between 2 sessions as it is more effective in an unbroken session.
- There is no need to stop any medications being taken
- .Oil pulling for teeth has no side effects though during the initial phase of detoxification some may develop experience congestion, more mucus flow, pimples or headache. This is no cause for worry and is normal.
Benefits Of Using Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is also known as Gingelly oil. It is the most preferred oil for oil pulling since :
- It has a high levels of antioxidants, phenols and tocopherols which reduce blood pressure and prevent the degeneration of the blood vessels. It reduces cholesterol.
- It contains phytic acid, sesamol and sesamin three very powerful antioxidants. Phytic acid slows down the aging process.
- It does not stain and has no after taste.
- It is thought to boost the Vitamin E levels in the body.
- It contains about 40% linoleic acid which is a good anti inflammatory.
To sum it up, oil pulling is a cheap, effective, safe and extremely easy to do health practice. It has healed hundreds of thousands of people all over the world.
- Health Benefits of Oil Pulling
O.K. this health practice seems a little strange at the outset. But many of its adherents make extravagant claims for it. A Ukrainian physician, Dr F. Karach, presented what he called a remarkable treatment at a conference of the all...
Some of my other hubs on Alternate Therapies
- A Simple Medicines Guide To Schuessler's Biochemic Tissue Remedies or Cell Salts
The Biochemic Tissue Salts or remedies are used in one system of alternate medicine which was developed by Dr. W.H.Schuessler, a German doctor. In this article, I explain in simple terms how they are to be used to benefit in many health conditions.Th
- EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique Or Tapping - An Alt...
EFT or Emotional freedom Technique is an alternative health therapy very much like acupressure, in which specific points on the body are tapped in a particular way. To learn more about this therapy, read on...
- Sujok Therapy
Sujok therapy is an alternate therapy that has instant and seemingly miraculous healing effects. It can be used very effectively in our daily life. To learn more about the system of sujok therapy, read on...
- Insomnia Treatment With Acupressure Therapy Or Pressure Point Therapy
Acupressure is one of the alternate therapies that can be used in insomnia treatment with success. To know how you can benefit from this pressure point therapy in insomnia, read on...
- Health Benefits Of Water - Blue Solar Water Made In Glass Bottles
Water is the essence of life. Did you know that this very water can be energized and made into blue solar water having all the healing properties of the sun? To learn how you can benefit from one of the many alternate therapies, read on...
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime or practice.
This article is for health information purposes only.
Oil Pulling Demonstration
Oil Pulling Benefits
More by this Author
The Biochemic Tissue Salts or remedies are used in one system of alternate medicine which was developed by Dr. W.H.Schuessler, a German doctor. In this article, I explain in simple terms how they are to be used to...
Apple cider vinegar, the folk medicine, has both supporters and detractors. Does apple cider vinegar cure? What are the apple cider vinegar remedies? Read on to find out...
Singhara, water caltrop, or Indian water chestnut is a popular snack, and its flour is used by Hindus in fasts kept during festivals like Navratri. Learn about its many health benefits.