What to Write on a Sympathy Card or Online Memorial
How to Write Meaningful Condolences
It can be an extremely challenging time when someone you know and care about passes away. Expressions of sympathy differ from culture to culture, although a common response is to at least send a sympathy card and/or write a post to an online memorial. But how do you put your thoughts and feelings into words?
What you wish to say in writing on a sympathy card or an online memorial can be extremely difficult to compose. The following article is designed to help readers understand the importance of sharing their condolences and assist in creating a meaningful sentiment.
Other Reasons to Send a Sympathy Card
A sympathy card can also be sent for reasons other than someone passing away. You may wish to comfort a grieving friend or family member who has experienced a misfortune such as:
- Loss of a beloved pet
- Loss of a job
- Loss of a home
- Serious illness or disability
Sending a Sympathy Card
When you offer your condolences through sending a sympathy card, you are telling the person who has lost a loved one that you care about them, support them and are thinking about them. You are offering comfort during their time of grief.
From personal experience, I can tell you that receiving sympathy cards is extremely meaningful. For me, they are a significant piece of the healing process during a time of grieving and also many years later; the cards are special mementos that I can touch as I revisit the heartfelt words from time to time. Remembering the support received from others is a special gift that I have cherished.
Posting a Sympathy Message to an Online Memorial
Although sympathy cards continue to have a special purpose for many people, online memorials are becoming more and more customary.
Writing your thoughts and posting to an online memorial page can be viewed immediately by anyone. It is an instant and convenient way to share your feelings with others.
But it can be a daunting task trying to decide what to say. There are many ideas below that will help you get started.
Did you know?
When you type “online memorial websites” into a Google search, you will find approximately 78,400,000 results. That’s 78 MILLION!
Is It Acceptable to Simply Sign a Pre-Made Sympathy Card?
Yes, of course. Many sympathy cards have very nice sayings already pre-printed inside.
Yet even just a few handwritten words from you will add a deeper meaning to your sentiment. And it will be received as much more personal and heartfelt from you.
Sample Wording to Write on a Sympathy Card or Online Memorial
As you write your feelings on a sympathy card or online memorial, you want to make sure that the words you utilize are those that would actually be spoken by you. You don’t want to write something that is unlike you because it will come across as impersonal. Choose your wording wisely.
Here are 20 examples to get you started. Feel free to include a story about the deceased and/or mention their special qualities that you hope will be remembered about them.
Browse the samples to choose what wording works best to convey your thoughts and feelings.
- Although no words can take away the loss that you feel, please find comfort in knowing that there are so many that care about you. I am here, always, if you need me.
- My thoughts and prayers are with you. I can only hope that time will bring you comfort and help to heal your sorrow.
- May you find strength in the love all around you and comfort in all the wonderful memories.
- It’s so hard to find the right words to write at a time like this. I hope that so many thoughts and prayers you are receiving will help to ease your pain.
- The sudden loss of __________ proves that life is so fragile and we may not understand why things happen the way they do. I am here for you my friend and will help you through this tragedy.
- I want you to know how sincerely sorry I am that you must go through this sorrow. I truly cannot begin to understand your loss. But I will do my best to help you through this because I love you.
- Please hold on tight to all your memories and lean on me and others for strength. Always remember how much you are cared about.
- Some people spend their life servings others and __________ did just that. I am truly thankful to have known him/her.
- __________ brought so many gifts into our lives. I will never forget.
- I feel comforted in knowing __________ is no longer suffering. I hope you will also feel this peace.
- It’s difficult to come up with just the right words to let you know how sad I am that you are going through this grief. I am here to support you in any way I can.
- Please accept my most heartfelt sympathies for your loss. I am holding you close in thought and prayer during this difficult time.
- Sometimes life can seem extremely unfair. I am so sorry you are going through this tragedy in your life. My sincere condolences.
- I have many cherished memories that I will never forget. The world has lost someone so very special.
- I am devastated that you are going through such heartbreak. I wish there was something I could possibly say that would ease your pain at this time.
- May the love the two of you shared continue to radiate in your heart. Please take care of yourself.
- I can’t stop thinking about you and all that you are going through. I am here, anytime day or night, if you need me.
- May the comfort from others in this time of sorrow support you and help you to see ~ what a difference one life has made to so many, what a blessing one person could be.
- I am honored and will never forget what a source of inspiration __________ was to me. Please accept my sincere condolences to you and your entire family.
- I am deeply sorry to hear about the death of __________. Please let me know if there is anything, seriously anything, I can do to help.
Death of a Pet
It is quite common for people to grieve the death of a pet similar to the heartache of losing a precious family member.
Recognizing their loss is an extremely kind gesture. Here are a couple ideas on what to write in a sympathy card for the loss of a pet.
- I was so sad to hear the news that __________ passed away. I know how much you loved him/her, and I could only imagine how lost you feel. Please know that you are in my thoughts. I will miss __________ too.
- You and __________ have been best friends for a very long time. I know he/she was such a great companion and there for you during some extremely rough times. How fortunate you were to have each other. I am so sorry for your loss.
What is Your Preference?
I prefer to express my condolences:See results without voting
Closing Words on Your Sympathy Message
It’s important to end your message with words that are meaningful, sincere and express your true feelings. Here are some ideas for you to use:
- You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers
- Thinking of you often
- I share in your grief and send my love
- With heartfelt condolences
- __________ will never be forgotten
- I am here for you my friend
- With deepest sympathy
- You will remain in my thoughts
- May you continue to be comforted by beautiful memories
- My sincere sympathy
- The memory of __________ will remain in my heart forever
- Praying for your comfort during this difficult time
- May your heart find peace and comfort
- Never hesitate to contact me anytime
And of course, be sure to sign your name.
This is Sharyn's Slant
More by this Author
Every human life is a work of art, a unique self portrait. After we take our final curtsy, our story will live on. Will you leave behind a meaningful legacy?
Being aware of the stages one goes through at the end of life will give loved ones an opportunity to be less fearful of the unknown and instead, be present in the moment with much compassion, and even gratitude for...
White lawn grubs can do an extensive amount of damage to your grass. Learn how to identify lawn grubs, treat them and prevent further damage.