What's a good way to get more sleep besides sleeping pills?
If a person has too much on their mind or is stressing, it can become a problem to relax enough to let the body fall into a deep sleep that will be as restful and revitalising as it should be.
Sleeping pills are not the solution anyone should result to, unless prescribed by a Doctor...even then there might be other non-chemical solutions one might want to check out first. The main and scary bit about sleeping pills is that once started, natural sleep will still not be available.
Ways to promote natural sleep:
- Do not eat supper too late in the evening. The body needs at least four hours to start with the digestion
- Do not have caffeine filled drinks past six O'clock
- Do not work on things that promote stress - rather reorganize and do the slower more relaxing chores later in the evening
- Do not watch TV programs with deep problematic subjects(i.e. if your into the well being of animals...A program on cruelty to pets might stir-up a lot of emotions)
- Do not get into argumental subjects with your significant other(this will project negative vibes)
- Drink warm milk with honey (not to every-ones liking but grandma knew what she was talking about, it does work)
- Drink an Herbal tea, 1) one teaspoon each of dried Valerian root,chamomile and lemon balm steeped for 10 minutes in 6 fluid ounces of boiling water sweetened to taste, drink 30 to 45 minutes before bedtime 2)two teaspoons of lemon balm and one teaspoon of lavender steeped for 10 minutes in 6 fluid ounces of boiling water sweetened with one teaspoon of honey, sip slowly just before bedtime
- Take an herbal bath 1) fill a muslin baggy with equal parts of chamomile, lavender and lemon balm - hang bag from faucet 2) Pour 2 liters of boiling water over 1 cup of Valerian root let steep for 45 minutes, store 'tea' in dark bottle will keep for a week in fridge, add one cup to bathwater
- Meditate this is a method which will take a little perseverance to get into, this is by far the best method...just a very basic methodology to meditation is necessary to be useful... 1) to Begin with have an herbal bath, this will open the mind to relaxation 2) put on some nice slow music just for background 3) sit on bed or floor comfortably leaning against either wall or side of bed 4) close eyes, listen to your breathing, roll head slowly around and around twice, concentrate on your slow and deep breathing, start counting slowly picturing the numbers in front of you, clear your mind and concentrate on your breathing and the numbers...be persistent spend at least 10 to 15 minutes meditating each night just before bedtime. Eventually this will replace every other method of insomnia relief... Once meditation has been established as a nightly occurrence it will be possible to just pull up the pictures of the numbers in front of ones eyes and concentrate on breathing slow and steady and thus fall asleep even if wakened during the night...
Try using some of these above mentioned help aids to relieve insomnia and enjoy a restorative sleep...
- Meditation: the benefits.
Meditation has a long history. In most peoples mind meditation seems to be the humming sounds coming from a
- Hands On!
I'm sitting here plastering some of my special arthritis massage oil onto my sore hands. I see them but really look at them for the first time in ages. That's such a stupid statement you say...but tell me...
- Sunlight: Good? versus Bad?
In Canada, and the rest of the northern hemisphere the days are getting shorter until December 21st. Which makes this the darkest part of the year. Not seing the sun for days at a time can cause some people...
- Using 10 Common Foods As Medicine!
Food is probably the most frequently consumed 'drug' available to all without so much as a prescription. Readily available from all grocery stores and produce barns. Disease prevention through nutrition...
- 1 Year hub-versary!
October 22nd 2007 a day in history... my history that is, a year ago I found my new home away from home. HUBPAGES. To give you the long tour (the short one is just too boring ...I've always wanted to be a...
More by this Author
Uhh-Yuk-Warts! I haven't seen nor kissed a toad in many a year , so how come I have two warts on my left hand ring finger right beside the nail ? (How are you able to use nail polish or nail extensions with those...
...as far as I'm concerned flying Sherman-tank sized mosquitoes, ticks and the rest of their biting, pinching and stinging compatriots are at the top of my list for extermination.
A friends daughter whose wedding I sewed and organized a few years ago came over last night with her 'Hubby'... saying that the deal on the house they had bid on had been accepted. The young couple was in seventh...