Wheelchair Using Tips
The knowledge of using a wheel chair is very important for those who need to use it. The issue is to use a wheel chair in such a manner that the respective person feels comfortable in moving using a wheel chair as they remain on the wheel chair for about 15 hours a day.
In spite of knowing that comfort is a very big issue attention lacks in the usage of safety. In this article we will know about the measures to be taken to use the wheel chair comfortably. To transfer in and out of your wheel chair you will require daily activities and practice. Before attempting the following steps on your own, you have to practice them in the presence of someone.
The first and foremost safety measure is the brakes. Check the brakes of your wheel chair time to time for they get loosen over time.
Always use the chair locks or brakes before leaning or bending forward and be sure to maintain the seat balance. Don’t reach between your knees or try to move forward on your seat to pick up anything. Don’t lean more than the length of armrests.
Always use seat positioning strap if it is available.
Mind Your Directions
Do not put your weight towards the direction you want to reach as the wheel chair may tilt over.
Choose The Smooth Path
Do not try to ride over curbs or obstacles. It is always safer to find another way around the curb rather than climbing up on it.
Fitness For Disabled And Elderly
- Fitness For The Elderly People
Fitness and exercises for the elderly people can help in number of ways. Benefits not only include weight maintenance and weight loss as with any age group, elders can also enjoy a healthy life.
- Fitness Exercises For Disabled
Who can refuse this fact that how much a recreation is significant for a human? It is not merely for the sake of fun or joy but it really freshens up the soul and body, which then leaves a good impression.
Assistance Is Must
Do not try to tilt the wheel chair without assistance of any other person.
Do not move between floors using escalators without any assistance.
You need to practice well in someone’s assistance before attempting to ride over ramps, inclines and declines. Do not try to move on a steep slope alone.
Adjust It Accordingly
Always program your wheel chair on the speed which you can easily handle, if you have a power chair, mainly when you are moving it in the reverse.
Avoid Greasy Surface
If there is some oil, water or ice film on any incline, do not attempt to move on it.
Turn the footrests in such a way that they face away from each other and are out of the way of person’s feet.
Power It Off On Ramp
If you are using a ramp or a lift be sure to switch the power of your chair off so that you may not bump into your joystick while the power is on. It can be very dangerous in case of a power wheel chair.
Moving From Wheelchair To Floor
Some Other Disability Aids
- Disability Aids
Flattering immobilized can twist custom tasks into enormous activities, but luckily there are numerous disability aids on the marketplace that is able to assist the disabled.
Always Pick Transport Safe Wheel Chair
If you want to move in a vehicle while sitting on your wheel chair then it must have the label of “transport safe” for it may denote that the wheel chair has undergone several crash tests and is able to withstand collisions.
Tips For Wheelchair Assistant
- To avoid sudden movements the assistant must always tell the wheel chair user what he/she is going to do.
- Always place the wheel chair in front of the object on which the user is sitting or lying such as chair or bed.
- Always lock the wheels of the chair.
- To avoid fall or trip, remove obstacles that could hinder the movement of the wheel chair user.
- Stand beside the wheel chair and secure the person under your arms.
- Help the person lifting out of the wheel chair by bending your knees.
- Move the wheel chair slight away from the person and place your hand on his back so that he/she can feel extra secure. Give him/her a moment to get balanced and then allow moving. While letting him/her move make sure that there are no obstacles on his/her way.
- Along with the person you also take small steps and rotate him/her to let him/her sit on the bed or a chair.
- Always guide the person slowly before letting him/her sit.
- Always use a good posture for the person’s safety. Also keep his back straight.
- Bend his/her knees slightly while you are tipping the wheel chair over curbs.
- Tipping the wheel chair without using tipping bar may require two persons at a time. Each at either side.
Learn To Fight Depression
- What Happens When A Person Is In Depression?
Depression is the feeling of inadequacy and utter hopelessness that leads to inactivity. Try imaging an athlete running on a track with hurdles.
Wheelchair Assistance Using Dogs
Aerobics And Water Aerobics For Disabled
- Benefits of Aerobic Exercises
Any kind of exercise has become very necessary for all of us, amongst the hectic lifestyles we live. The exercises of Aerobic include many kinds of exercise routines.
More by this Author
The people discussed in this article are those brave and heroic people who have achieved a lot of success in their lives despite of all the hindrances they faced being physically disabled. These valiant people have...
A disability is a condition in which one or more systems of person are not functioning normally. In other words any sort of physical or internal impairment caused by an injury or another factor is referred to a...
History is full of legends that still mystify and entertain. These legends come from cultures all over the world. Some are held as strong beliefs, while others have faded away with time. The...
No comments yet.