Why is My Hair Falling Out? Hair Loss and Nutrition
Common Causes of Hair Loss
Male Pattern Baldness affects over 40 million men in the US but there are other reasons that contribute to hair loss in both men and women.
Although not life threatening, hair loss can significantly lower one's self esteem and have a negative impact on how those affected deal with the world around them.
So one may raise the question "Why is my hair falling out?" Some of the most common causes of hair loss in men include the genetic MPB (male pattern baldness), thyroid issues, trauma, surgery, medications or even some restrictive crash diets.
Although for only about half as many women are affected as men in the US, their most common cause is also genetic, referred to as female pattern baldness or female androgenetic alopecia.
Stress, illness and nutrition also are contributing factors for female hair loss.
Nutrition for Your Follicles
You might be surprised to find out one of the first steps when being diagnosed for why your hair is falling out is going over your diet and nutrition. Many experts agree that hair loss and nutrition go hand in hand in both prevention and even reversal of hair loss.
There are certain foods that are not only good for your overall health but are also key tohealthy hair and hair follicles.For instance foods that are high in protein, low in carbohydrates and have a reduced fat content are highly recommended for your nutrition regiment.
I am including some other key vitamins and nutrients that have been linked to not only healthier hair but also a healthier scalp. If you are experiencing thinning of the hair or significant hair loss, you may want to talk to your doctor about your diet and nutrition plan or you may want to make the changes yourself and watch for improvements.
Hair Loss Shampoo and Treatments
Nutrition Tips for Healthier Hair
Following a diet that is rich in protein is always healthier for your hair and scalp but here are a few other vitamins and minerals you might not think of when you think about healthy hair.
- Vitamin A- You can find this key nutrient in green leafy vegetables like spinach, green leafy lettuce varieties, as well as carrots. This vitamin helps your scalp produce a natural conditioner called sebum.
- Vitamin B12 - Although you will not need an overabundance of this, it is very important in both cell division and blood formation. You can find this commonly added to certain foods like soy milk or breakfast cereals but you can also find it in certain fish or seafood like Trout, Tuna, and Salmon just to name a few.
- Iron- A deficiency of iron for women often occurs during their reproductive years and go left un-diagnosed as the cause of hair loss. Broccoli, Kidney beans, and raw almonds as well as most meats are among the many foods that will help boost your iron levels.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids- This is something we all need more of for our overall health especially our skin and scalps. This can be widely found in flax-seed, walnuts, canola oil and of course fish.
- Protein- Again this is a key to nutrition and hair loss issues. It helps our bodies build multiple types of cells including our hair and of course strong healthy nails. You will find most meat to be the best source of protein but can also find protein in nuts, eggs and many dairy products.
- Zinc- If you have a zinc deficiency, you may notice quite a significant loss or thinning of hair. You can add more zinc to your diet with all types of beans and beef as well as whole grains.
Of course this is no guarantee you will be able to slow or stop your hair loss especially if it is genetic but just know there are benefits to improving your diet and nutrition plan. So if you have been asking "Why is My Hair Falling Out?", consult with your doctor to rule out genetics and talk about how nutrition and hair loss go hand in hand.
More by this Author
What do hemorrhoids look like? Are they internal or external hemnorrhoids? Find out what hemorrhoids look like, symptoms and treatment methods that work.
Metal roofing shoes should be required when installing metal roofing. For safety, OSHA approved shoes could save life and limb, preventing accidents. ...
Learn how to clean laminate wood flooring to keep it looking good for years to come. Find some easy tips for keeping the shine without breaking your back...