World's Oldest People – Past and Present
“Old age befalls us all”, it is sad to say, and with the passing of the years I have pondered the question “Why do we grow old?” To answer that question could take me down another pathway of thinking, so for the purpose of this article I’ll reflect on the elderly who have had the good fortune of being able to enjoy longevity.
A verified supercentenarian is a person whose reported age of 110 or more is supported by at least three documents, submitted in a standard and validated in reliable fashion, by an international body widely recognized for specific expertise in longevity research.
My Grandmother's Longevity
If only she hadn’t fallen!
Lucy Anne may not be on record for having been one of the oldest people to have lived but she goes on my record as one of the “grandest” old ladies living to the grand age of 104years. Born in 1896 she sadly died in 2000 following a fall that her frail body could not withstand. Would she have lived to see her 116th birthday this year 2012, we’ll never know of course!
My grandmother was still gracious and coherent at the age of 104years.
The oldest verified person to have lived was the Frenchwoman Jeanne Calment, who died at the age of 122 years 164 days.
Six Verified Supercentenarian Cases
- Besse Cooper – Female, 115yrs – USA
- Dina Manfredini – Female, 114yrs – USA
- Jiroemon Kimura – Male, 114yrs – Japan
- Leila Denmark – Female, 114yrs – USA
- Misawo Okawa – Female, 113yrs – Japan
- Kame Nakamura – Female, 113yrs - Japan
All of the above mentioned people are still living.
Of the 100 listed oldest people in the world to have lived of which the six cases above are included, only nine are males.
May all of us who have not as yet reached Senior Citizens age group , show patience as the elderly slow down and cope with unwanted aches and pains remembering, old age befalls us all one day!
Oldest Authenticated Supercentenarians
- 122 years : Jeanne Calment (France) 1875 - 1997
- 119 years : Sarah Knauss (US) 1880 - 1999
- 117 years : Lucy Hannah (US) 1875 - 1993
- 117 years : Marie-Louise Meilleur (Canada) 1880 - 1998
- 116 years : Maria Esther Capovilla (Ecuador) 1889 - 2006
- 116 years : Tane Ikai (Japan) 1879 - 1995
- 116 years : Elizabeth Bolden (US) 1890 - 2006
- 115 years : Maggie Barnes (US) 1882 - 1998
- 115 years : Christian Mortensen (Denmark) 1882 - 1998
- 115 years : Charlotte Hughes (England) 1877 - 1993
Maybe I am a Senior Citizen because :-
I’m very good at opening child-proof caps with a hammer.
I’m the life of the party even when it lasts ‘till 8pm.
I’m usually interested in going home before I get to where I am going.
I’m very good at telling stories over and over.
I’m awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.
I’m smiling all the time because I can’t hear a word you’re saying.
I’m wondering, if you’re as old as you feel, how could I be alive at 150years?
Whatever the conclusion I’ll still be here on Hubpages!
More by this Author
Potjiekos, traditional African Cooking at its Best!
On the 25th of December 2011, tragically the 82nd person ended their life from this “Bridge of Death”. At only 37years of age this woman jumped to her death with the continuing question echoing from below,...
Who were Jesus' 12 Apostles? My hubpage will deliver the facts!