Is Yoga Just for Women Only?
I’ve been practicing yoga for almost ten years now. When I first started I was typically the only male in my yoga class. I didn’t really mind this at all. In fact, I kind of enjoyed being surrounded by lots of cute women in yoga class! Men used to make fun of me for doing yoga. There was a strange perception that “yoga was for women.”
I’m not sure what happened over the past few years, but it seems like more men are doing yoga now. I actually don’t like this and have sort of stopped going to yoga classes. I just practice yoga at home now. I guess I don’t like going to yoga classes anymore because it’s not as special to me – I’m no longer the only man in the class :( The women in my classes back then thought I was cool for being “open enough” to practice yoga.
So, should men do yoga? Absolutely! Yoga has improved my strength, balance, and flexibility. I also have fewer injuries now because I practice yoga. Yoga is not just for women anymore and this stigma seems to have finally faded away.
Even though my special days of being the only guy in yoga class are gone, I’m happy more people are practicing yoga now!
If you’ve thought about trying a yoga class, but feel intimidated, here are a few tips:
- Choose a beginner class
- Ask if they supply the yoga mats, if not, you’ll need to bring your own
- Dress appropriately for the class…here’s what I wear:
- Workout shorts with built in liner
- Sleeveless shirt either tucked in or tight enough to stick to my body. I find a sleeveless works the best because you often raise your hands above your head and this will cause a normal shirt to constantly rise up and down. I also mention tucking the shirt in or wearing a tight shirt because you’ll do a lot of poses, like downward facing dog, where you are semi-inverted. If your shirt isn’t tucked in or tight enough, it will end up falling in your face!
- Flip flops – where flip flops to the class, then take them off and go barefoot when you start. I find flip flops easier than shoes and socks.
- Don’t wear a hat
- Take a towel with you to the class – there are several uses for a towel in yoga. You can wipe your sweat off the mat, you can use it as support for various poses, and you can use it as a band / strap for poses.
- Have an open mind and don’t get frustrated if you can’t do some of the poses – it takes time and practice
- Enjoy the experience!
More by this Author
As a regular at the gym, it has become obvious that most men do not understand gym shower etiquette. Believe it or not there are some simple rules you should follow in the gym shower...
As an athlete, I spend a lot of time in swimming pools - an average of two to three times per week. I swim at both a YMCA and a Gold's gym, but I've noticed people don't have a clue about swimming pool...
I spend a fair amount of time at the gym and in men’s locker rooms. I have witnessed many strange breaches of gym etiquette in these locker rooms. It has become obvious to me that most men know nothing about...