Your Teeth Give You Away
How to make your own essential oil
- If you want to make your own essential oil to ensure it is really natural, here's how: 1. gather some fresh leaves. store bought or freshly picked are fine. wash with cool water and dry with paper towel. 2. gently pound on the leaves. the idea is to just bruise and not crush the greens. One way to do this is to put the leaves in a sandwich bag and pound with a wooden mallet. or you can just crush it with your hands. 3. transfer the leaves to a plastic or glass bottle and fill the bottle with olive oil, canola, sunflower, almond or coconut oil till just above the leaves. 4. shake the bottle and leave undisturbed and away from draft for 24 hours. 5. after 24 hours, discard the leaves and replace with bruised leaves of almost the same amount. leave on for another 24 hours. 6. repeat procedure 5 twice more. After that, the essential oil is ready for use. Of course this oil will not be as potent as its commercial counterpart. However, for home use
Say Cheese! - Taking care of your teeth the natural way
Just how important is keeping our teeth clean? Man is a social animal. As such, keeping oneself presentable at all times will make any interaction pleasant. When we meet anyone or approach anyone, the first thing that is noticed of us is our smile. When we smile, eat, or talk, our teeth show more often than not.
Even our health is affected by our teeth. When we have dental caries, it gives us bad breath. It may even lead to such conditions as sore throat, periodontitis, rheumatic heart or even kidney conditions. Thus it makes it imperative to keep our enamels intact and clean.
The best way maintain our teeth is to brush them on a regular basis. As a rule, we should observe the following:
1. Brush often. Brush upon waking up, after each meal and before sleeping. If this is not possible, brushing at least twice a day will do.
2. Brush gently. That would mean we have to brush at least 5 minutes each time.
3. Brush the inside of the cheeks, tongue and gums as well because those parts harbor bacteria and may encourage their proliferation. Remember there are 3 main things that bacteria need to thrive, grow and multiply - warmth, moisture and food. All three are present in the mouth making it a good breeding ground for those nasty, disease-producing creatures.
4. Replace toothbrush every 3 months.
5. Have at least 2 toothbrushes at any given time. It is recommended that we use our brushes when they are already dry. 2 or more toothbrushes will allow one brush to dry while the other one is being used.
6. Keep toothbrushes covered or in sealed cases so that none of the pests in the house can "feed" on them and thus become our regular guests.
The natural alternatives to toothpaste are baking soda and salt. Baking soda makes the teeth white but it can also irritate the skin so I use it a max of twice a day only. For the rest of the day I use natural toothpastes when ever available.
If you love to make things you may want to make your own natural toothpaste:
- About 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 tbsp honey
- ground fresh parsley
- ground cinnamon or ground peppermint leaves or about 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Bring all ingredients to room temp. by that I mean the oil should not be hard and the peppermints leaves should be fresh.
- Mix in other ingredients and incorporate well. You can use a food processor, a blender or a mixer to do this.
- Put the mixture into small glass jar. make different ones for each person who will use it.
Nutrition for Teeth:
When we were kids we learned that calcium is good to keep bones and teeth strong. Thus we will need a constant supply of this mineral. Kefir is a good source of calcium. But not only that, I personally find that it also reduces incidents of cavities too. Plus, it rids you of morning breath.
As for the whole body, it is best to eat vegetables and fruits when they are raw. However, I make it a point to buy organically grown produce. I read somewhere that raw food with preservatives or those that have been treated with pesticides or chemical fertilizers do more harm than good. To avoid getting sick from those, buy only organic.
A variety of nutrients are required by the teeth. So, it is safe to say that we can eat almost anything that is natural - meat, vegetables, fruits, fish. However, I cannot over stress the point that most if not all have to be organic. There are a few nutrients though that the teeth need more - vit D for calcium absorption, vit. C, vit. A, phosphorus and etc. Here's a suggestion from www.Dental.net:
Top 10 Foods for Your Teeth:
1. Green Tea to prevent plaque
2. Dairy products for calcium
3. Cheese for calcium. It also balances the pH in the mouth, which make it produce more saliva, rebuilds tooth enamel and kills the bacteria that cause tooth cavities and gum disease.
4. Fruit in whole, raw and organic form to prevent plaque and massage the gums.
5. Vegetables that are raw and organic will provide the necessary nutrients and massage the gums too.
6. Onions will kill the bacteria that can cause harm to the teeth and gums. If you can't stand the pungent smell though, eat parsley after taking onions.
7. Celery - will massage the gums and clean the teeth. like cheese, it will encourage the production of more saliva.
8. Sesame Seeds,
9. Proteins needed by the gum cells to repair itself.
10. Water will help bring down the ph thus encourages saliva production. It is a must to drink water after eating something sweet.
For fresh breath, chew on some fresh parsley. It is a natural deodorizer. alternatively, you can make tea and drink it after say eating a garlicky meal. Add some mint leaves to give your mouth a nice minty smell.
When dining, try to keep the food or liquids cold when the weather (or environment) is cold and hot when the weather is hot. Your teeth are like glass that shatter when subjected to sudden temperature change. When the the teeth break, they can be portals for bacteria to enter.
Let's try to keep ourselves healthy by keeping our teeth clean. After all, we love smiling don't we?
Do you know how to take care of your teeth and gums?
More by this Author
Would you believe that coughing is a good thing? Yes it is as it is the body's way of protecting and curing itself from foreign elements that attack it. It is a reflex just like the way you jerk and remove your hand...