If I recognize that a family member is under deep stress, I will try my best to get him/ner the help needed.. Hopefully they will be open to my suggestions of help, but if not, there is very little I could do except to be supportive and available as needed. My intervention would include.
1) confidential talks, encouragement and support, and assistance as needed.
2) I would encourage him/her to think about their situation and provide encouragement in making the best choices possible to eliminate the stress.
3) My encouragement would include the need for rest and relaxation along with 8 hours of sleep nightly. Also to go for long walks and even do a little exercise to help in feeling less stressful.
4) I would recommend that he/she write down the problems causing the stress and write down possible solutions to the problems. Then start working on the best way to achieve the goal to eliminate the stress.
5) I would introduce to him/her the serenity prayer. There are things we can change, and there are things we cannot change...and we need to know the difference and accept.
6) If all else fails, I would recommend therapeutic counseling if stress proves to be much more than what he/she could handle (even with family support). I would even try to select a good psychologist or counselor if he/she is unable to do this on their own.