Rebecca2904 profile image 78

Jumping rope or running?

What, in your opinion, is the best exercise to lose weight? I used to do a lot of running but I've been having some problems with my hip and ankle recently. I took a bit of a break because I don't want to do any permanent damage, but now I'm finding that I'm not feeling anywhere near as fit and I'm gaining a bit of weight. Jumping rope doesn't hurt my legs the same way that running started to, but do you think it is a comparable exercise in terms of fitness and weight-loss? Are there any other exercises you would suggest? Thanks!

beingwell profile image80

Best Answer beingwell says

• Rebecca2904 profile image

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) 4 years ago

Thanks for your reply! I lost a lot of weight by running too, but it's not really possible to continue at the moment - I can only manage about a km before my legs start playing up. Great blog, too! Thanks for sharing.

Jeani Nugent profile image80

Jeani Nugent says

• Rebecca2904 profile image

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) 4 years ago

Thanks for your answer! I do use the elliptical whenever I go to the gym but I prefer exercising outside - I find it's much more enjoyable and doesn't feel so much like hard work!

DreamerMeg profile image87

DreamerMeg says

• Rebecca2904 profile image

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) 4 years ago

Thanks for answering! I do lift some light weights most days to tone my arms, but I like to do cardio too, it seems to be the only thing that will get rid of my tummy.

Steve Hunter profile image75

Steve Hunter says

• Rebecca2904 profile image

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) 4 years ago

Great answer! Thanks so much for typing all of that! I think my diet is alright, I have some stomach problems so I have to avoid junk food as a rule (though maybe I could drink less!)

backporchstories profile image84

backporchstories says

• Rebecca2904 profile image

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) 4 years ago

Thanks for your answer! I'm definitely going to give jumping rope a good go, see if it makes much of a difference. I know that walking is good exercise too, but I'm not really overweight - I've just got some stubborn bits that won't shift! haha

Gregoryy profile image61

Gregoryy says

• Rebecca2904 profile image

Rebecca (Rebecca2904) 4 years ago

Thanks for you answer! Although I think it's running up and down hill that's done my ankle and hip in - I used to live on the sea front where it was perfectly flat, but as soon as I moved to a more hilly area I started having problems.

Virtuous1 profile image60

Virtuous1 says