chepkoluumugulel profile image 82

Is West Nile Virus the same as Malaria?

Do you think West Nile Virus (mainly found in United States) the same as Malaria which is found mainly in sub-Saharan Africa?

Dr Pooja profile image61

Best Answer Dr Pooja says

• chepkoluumugulel profile image

chepkoluumugulel 4 years ago

Thanks Dr. Pooja. So it all comes down to the family species of the arthropod(s) responsible for transmission. I had not heard of Japanese encephalitis. That must be a medical term. Does it have another name? Interesting indeed.

crazyhorsesghost profile image85

Thomas Byers (crazyhorsesghost) says

• chepkoluumugulel profile image

chepkoluumugulel 4 years ago

I am struggling to believe that they are different. There are four types of malaria in US; ‘Airport’, Mosquito-borne, Congenital, and Transfusion-Transmitted malaria. I agree that these are rare nowadays only about 1,500 are diagnosed each year - CDC

• chepkoluumugulel profile image

chepkoluumugulel 4 years ago

The reason why I am thinking they are kind of the same is that they are both infectious diseases and they are both spread by mosquitoes. That is where my confusion is. So West Nile Virus reached USA from where? Where did it first start?