Electro-Denizen profile image 87

Why do people's personalities change when they're driving a car?

Is it a power thing, being in control of a vehicle? Dissociation from the other person, being separated by glass and metal? Seems to me, that people behave badly toward each other on the road, when it wouldn't happen if they were standing next to each, perhaps trying to go through the same door at the same time. What's it all about?

Silva Hayes profile image93

Silva Hayes says

• Electro-Denizen profile image

Electro-Denizen 20 months ago

I couldn't agree more, the road is a scary place. When I took my driving lessons years ago, the instructor said to me, that every time she got into the car, she thought to herself it might be her last. To drum into her pupils how dangerous roads are.

Jeremy Gill profile image89

Jeremy Gill says

• Electro-Denizen profile image

Electro-Denizen 20 months ago

Good point, fast or slow, we tend to think we're doing the correct speed and other people are not! Probably agree with you about assessing how selfless a person is, by the way they drive...

• Electro-Denizen profile image

Electro-Denizen 20 months ago

indeed, good point... and that sensation of power, is that the sum of it then, why people become different behind the wheel... that many people can't handle even a small bit of power wisely...?

• Electro-Denizen profile image

Electro-Denizen 20 months ago

Interesting, the equalizer, that is possibly so, hadn't though of that....