ChristinS profile image 94

What life lesson have you had to learn the hard way?

I think for me it was people pleasing. When I was young, I always felt pressured to please everyone at all costs, to not say no because people would find that selfish, to never "stir the pot" etc. and it took exposure to a lot of toxic people and relationships to teach me the importance of boundaries and to learn that I could indeed be a worthy, loving, kind person but still be true to myself and that saying "no" is perfectly acceptable when you can't manage to take on another thing. What life lesson did you learn the hard way?

MizBejabbers says

• fpherj48 profile image

Paula (fpherj48) 20 months ago

Miz B......Oh yeah...THAT LESSON TOO !!!! FOR DAMNED SURE!!

Zhivko Stanev profile image82

Zhivko Stanev says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 19 months ago

Very true, we can't make others love us, and if they don't appreciate you for who you are chances are good that there is someone better suited to you out there.

• ChristinS profile image

Definitely always use your intuition and listen to your own body! My mother in law just learned this too. She was having shoulder pain and said I think i'm having a heart attack, dad dismissed it at first, but took her to ER anyway, and sure enough.

• ChristinS profile image

Definitely an honest answer that I totally respect. It takes courage to face our flaws, acknowledge and then work to fix them. The mark of a truly remarkable person. Thanks for sharing that.

word55 profile image81

Word (word55) says

• ChristinS profile image

I think it definitely takes strength of character and perseverance to overcome difficult circumstances and some of the best people were born into less than stellar conditions and learned to thrive. Thanks for sharing.

rmmercer profile image60

Robin Mercer (rmmercer) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 18 months ago

I've seen this pattern often in certain family members. I'm so glad you saw it for what it was; that takes strength to admit and I hope that now you can make different choices for yourself.

0

Aaron Jack says

• ChristinS profile image

Not your fault, the fault lies solely on the person who misused you and took for granted your kindness. Fortunately, I've found most people are pretty honest at their core. Sadly, addiction ruins a lot of otherwise good people. :(.