ChristinS profile image 93

Where can I find genuine support for parents of gifted teens with Asperger's?

My son is academically very gifted, but is struggling so much socially. Our district has good intentions and they try to be helpful, but they aren't. Other kids tease him still and it is now starting to impact his life in more detrimental ways. Today he lashed out at another boy in a very dramatic way - something he has never done before. I am concerned the school can't do much to help him and I can't control him when I'm not there. I know how to deal with him one on one and I don't expect the world to revolve around him, but I am so sad that his light is getting dimmed.

RTalloni profile image88

RTalloni says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 13 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the HSLDA and see what they have to say. Sometimes you just need another parent who is going through it to listen and share with :).

Besarien profile image84

Besarien says

• ChristinS profile image

Thanks so much for this! I do let him solve his own issues as much as possible, he's 16 but more like 12/13 emotionally. He's very high functioning and he's been away to camps for the gifted and did fine. It's this school he struggles in sadly.

NancySnyder profile image92

Nancy Snyder (NancySnyder) says