Billie Kelpin profile image 89

I can't figure out why people seem to be upset when someone doesn't get over their sadness.

I purposefully didn't say "can't get over their sadness" or "won't get over their sadness" or "don't want to get over their sadness" because I am not sure which it is that people don't do when they remain sad. If it's "won't", blame is implied. If it's "can't," a character flaw is implied, if it's "don't want to", it would seem as if it's a mental issue that's implied. Either way, why does another's inability to get over sadness seem to anger or upset or bother other people so much (if indeed, it does).Aren't some things simply too egregious to get over?

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 11 months ago

I love Frost's poem. Actually in 1964 (whoo 48 years ago?) my college Freshman English teacher had this student Stacey and I debate during the whole class about "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening". She then explained the concept of universality.

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 11 months ago

Thanks Tamara for your thoughtful analysis of this question! I think your comment on a global perspective is very insightful and should cause us to think about the West and its often cavalier attitude toward loss in other cultures.

Billie Kelpin profile image89

Billie Kelpin says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 11 months ago

Paula, my comment yesterday didn't get posted or I can't see it. What I said is that this is a stunning essay that should be published in and of itself. Thank you for sharing and I hope you share this with others. All warm wishes to you.

Sunshyne1975 profile image81

Sunshyne1975 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 11 months ago

Sunshyne, It's the worst to see your child in pain. Hopefully her time of sadness will be short. Someone once told me that a breakup is like up-rooting a tree; if the tree is young, the roots run shallow and it takes less time to fill the hole.

Austinstar profile image77

Austinstar says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 11 months ago

wow, I didn't know about serotonin levels and depletion. Thanks for your insight all the way around, Austinstar