Aromatherapy Baths With Essential Oils
Introduction to Aromatherapy Application
The choice of aromatherapy application creates a major impact on the effectiveness of using aromatherapy. It determines how easily the helpful properties of the oil are absorbed by the body and acts on those imbalances to improve overall function.
Making Aromatherapy Products : What Is Essential Oil?
Here are the list of common aromatherapy application methods that you can try:
*Compress – You can choose from hot or cold compress. If you want relief from an acute condition, cold compress should be just fine. But for chronic conditions, hot compress is ideal to use.
*Inhalation – This one typically involves steaming water that is added with a few drops of essential oil. Then, you will place your head over the water to slowly inhale the essences of the oil. For children, creating an air freshener is a safer choice as the scent is sprayed all over the room without the danger of handling hot water.
*Massage – This is a relaxing way to allow essential oils to be absorbed by your skin and relax your tensed muscles. This is a good method to use if you want to relieve yourself from any form of pain or stress.
*Bath – According to aromatherapy experts, this is the most holistic method that you can use to acquire the healing benefits of essential oils. The absorption of essential oils in the skin helps in curing physical ailments, while the inhalation of the steam that carries the fragrance of the oil helps relieve you mentally and spiritually.
What is an Aromatherapy Bath?
The concept of aromatherapy bath isn't quite new. In fact, it has been practiced during the ancient times wherein it is considered to improve longevity of life while also treating a wide array of illnesses.
In the modern world, one of the first people to practice bathing with essential oils were the Japanese. It is considered as a therapeutic activity, which is why Japanese people tend to perform this process after arriving home from work. It helps ease any form of tension in the muscles, while also relieving one from mental fatigue and stress.
Benefits of Bathing with Essential Oils
Aromatherapy offers a lot of means for an individual to experience the healing essences of essential oils. Aside from massage, bathing with essential oils is probably one of the more convenient and relaxing methods of attaining its healing capacity.
But more than the convenience, aromatherapy baths offer a holistic approach to revitalizing your health and bringing about healing. Here are the different ways in which this is achieved:
- The overall revitalization does not just target one aspect of your health, say your physical body. The different methods of acquiring the healing essences of the essential oil also nourish your mental and spiritual body.
- This is a great way to enhance your natural hygienic routine involving the use of essential oils. Moreover, there is no risk of developing side effects as compared to synthetic or manufactured medicines.
- The process of re-energizing the body and introducing therapeutic properties in the body help retain balance in the body for a natural yet effective treatment.
The Process of Healing
The body is composed of different senses that create reactions when certain impulses are activated. One of them is the sense of smell and this is where the healing capacity of essential oils are realized. Another crucial factor involved with healing through essential oil is the type of scent emitted by the specific type of oil in use.
Aromatherapy bath is known to provide more healing as compared to other methods of application. There are two methods that facilitate in the absorption of essential oil therapeutic properties: through skin penetration and inhalation of its healing essences.
When you soak your body into the water mixed with therapeutic essential oils, the properties of the oil are absorbed by your skin and enters your limbic system. It will now intervene with your central nervous system to restore basic functions of the body. On the other hand, as you soak there and allow the healing properties of the oil, you are also inhaling the aroma of the oil caused by the steaming water. Hence, it is important that you use warm water that provides enough steam to get optimum benefits.
Choosing Essential Oil To Use
There are three factors to consider when deciding on the essential oil you want to use during aromatherapy bath:
- Ailments/Conditions you want to treat. This is an obvious factor to consider so you might want to do some research on the possible essential oils that you can use to treat a given condition.
- Accessibility of essential oil. Once you have determined the possible essential oils to use for your specific condition, you can now focus on which of those are easily accessible within your area.
- Existing allergies or any possible adverse reactions. Another important factor to consider is whether or not a particular essential oil could potentially produce reactions or allergies. If it does, then you might want to look for a safer alternative.
Making Aromatherapy Products : Making Aromatherapy Bath Salts
Making Aromatherapy Products : Using Aromatherapy Bath Salts
Categories of Bath Essential Oils
The type of oil you add to your bath water during aromatherapy bath can create a huge impact on the kind of sensation or feeling that is created in the process. To help narrow down your choices according to the type of sensation you are aiming for, here is a short list of different types of essential oils and the corresponding effect they have on the body.
*Sensual Oil and Bath
- ylang ylang
*Skin Soothing Oil and Bath
- Roman or German chamomile
*Oils That Are NOT Good For Bathing
- black pepper
Procedures For Aromatherapy Bath Preparation
Preparing your own aromatherapy bath requires very simple process. You no longer need complicated equipments or materials to get started. But make sure to precisely follow the procedure below to get optimum results:
- As you usually would when preparing to take a bath, run water into your tub. For the purpose of aromatherapy though, you will need warm water. Take note: it has to be warm and not hot so you can comfortably soak your body in the water without burning yourself in the process.
- Prepare the essential oil you want to use. Your choice will be determined by a variety of factors including condition you want to heal, possible allergies, availability, among others.
- The amount of oil you want to add into the water depends on the strength of the aroma. For highly strong smelling oils, a few drops (approximately 3-4) will do. But if the oil you are using contains a subtle smell, then you are free to add more if you like.
- Once the essential oil has been added into the tub water, mix it thoroughly. Make sure that the healing essences of the oil is fully incorporated into the water.
- In some cases, adding a few drops of carrier oil might be necessary, such as for those with highly sensitive skin.
- Your aromatherapy bath is now ready to use. You need to soak in there for at least 15 minutes to experience its full benefits.
Bathing Your Feet and Hands
As new methods of aromatherapy application evolve, there were also a few variations of existing methods that arise. Foot and hand aromatherapy baths are also widely available these days.
To prepare one at home, simply fill a basin with warm water. Then, add a few drops of your chosen essential oil and stir completely. You can soak your hand or feet into the essential oil mixture for a few minutes to allow the properties of the essential oil to be completely absorbed. This is very effective against arthritis, skin disorders on hand and feet, nail fungus, athlete's foot, stress, among others.
Links on Aromatherapy Essential Oils
- Taruna Oils - The Taruna Oils Organization
Taruna Oils offers therapeutic grade aromatherapy and essential oils for mind, body and spirit. These oils are life enhancing gifts from nature
Aromatherapy DVDs on Amazon
Aromatherapy Videos on Amazon
More by this Author
Hormones serve as chemical messengers within your body that is responsible for regulating various body functions such as growth and development, reproductive functions, metabolism, and tissue functions, among others....
Vaporizing essential oils is a convenient and effective way to experience its relaxing and healing properties. Therefore, air fresheners made out of essential oil ingredients is becoming far more common than ever. If...
Because of the bacteria that forms upon perspiration, bad odor is possibly emitted. Although this is one factor, it is not the sole reason. Body odor is caused by the presence of bacteria that thrive on your body during...